Magnatec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks attractive at first glance for my application, being that my car sits for a while between starts.

I'm a little apprehensive, however, of almost anything that claims it leaves a coating for fear of it building up over time. Had anyone used this long term? Are these concerns valid or is it a non issue?

I can't find where they say it "leaves a coating" other than oil. Do you?

Quote:
It’s Castrol MAGNATEC’s intelligent molecules that truly set it apart from other engine oils. These ultra-refined molecular components cling to your engine throughout all driving conditions, and even when the engine is off.

When the engine stops, oil drains back to the sump, but Castrol MAGNATEC’s intelligent molecules don’t. They cling to critical engine parts like a magnet, providing an extra layer of protection from the start, and throughout warm-up.

It just says the oil itself clings to the engine. Which of course is true for all oils, no oil ever drains off completely regardless of whether the molecules are intelligent or not. I'd like to see evidence that the residual film from Magnatec is thicker after a prolonged set time.

Everything I've read about it shows that it is a good oil. Long term? I have no idea. But I'm using some now in my Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

It just says the oil itself clings to the engine. Which of course is true for all oils, no oil ever drains off completely regardless of whether the molecules are intelligent or not. I'd like to see evidence that the residual film from Magnatec is thicker after a prolonged set time.

I can attest to this. The Firebird FORMULA in my signature(38 yrs old), sits all winter long in my garage and I don't start the engine from the time I put her away in November, til May the following year/spring. And when I start the engine, it's smooth and doesn't make any odd noises. Turns over several times and Varooooom! Now, I'm not saying that is practice is optimal but, it's my story and I'm sticking with it!
smile.gif
I have only used conventional motor oils over the years and only the past few years have I been using HM oils just to control some mild dripping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I can attest to this. The Firebird FORMULA in my signature(38 yrs old), sits all winter long in my garage and I don't start the engine from the time I put her away in November, til May the following year/spring. And when I start the engine, it's smooth and doesn't make any odd noises. Turns over several times and Varooooom! Now, I'm not saying that is practice is optimal but, it's my story and I'm sticking with it!
smile.gif
I have only used conventional motor oils over the years and only the past few years have I been using HM oils just to control some mild dripping.

So before magnatec you are getting dry rattly starts after sitting for months? And now with magnatec you don't?

Don't read any of the marketing hype on oil bottles.

I ran magnatec Semi-syn in the rogue and it was awesome (except for -15F starts)

ran the magnatec full synthetic and it was too thin.

May have just been a batch variation but it didn't seem that way.

The full syn maggie seem to run like the hated castrol synpower.

Again may have been a bad batch, but the rollout batch of semi-syn magnatec was phenomenal.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

smile.gif

So before magnatec you are getting dry rattly starts after sitting for months? And now with magnatec you don't?

NO, I have never use Magnatec in this engine and wasn't saying that I did.
No start up rattle from 6-8 months of storage. Engine has great compression and burns no oil to speak of.

I'm only agreeing with kschachn that ALL oil(MUST) clings/residual film to the engine parts. And that I can attest to & agree that "ALL OIL" must do this!

Last edited:
Advertising is strong with Castrol. They are always trying to catch the eye. One has intelligent molecules, another has titanium. So which is better? Rockets and stars circling on the bottle. If it clings stronger this would mean it is more flow resistant, more friction.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Advertising is strong with Castrol. They are always trying to catch the eye. One has intelligent molecules, another has titanium. So which is better? Rockets and stars circling on the bottle. If it clings stronger this would mean it is more flow resistant, more friction.

After just 3k in a Pentastar … saw how CM clings … looked like a burnt corn dog on the dip stick (and thick under fill cap) …
We put some CM back in (all we had in 5w20) … but going to QSUD next … maybe swap that engine to 0w20 after the QS …

Have about 3 k so far in current fill of magnatec 5w30 in my Tacoma. No complaints. The 2grfks is not picky about oil.
It is a great value for severe applications. The truck is ran in hot dusty rough road situations all day and gets many hot starts a day after initial cold starts( run and hour stop 15 minutes-run 10minutes-stop repeat for 8-10 hours then Run and hour again.) Then It may sit for days or a couple of weeks and is put back to work.

Last edited:
intelligent molecules !! I scoff at those people who are foolish enough to buy oil with stupid molecules
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
intelligent molecules !! I scoff at those people who are foolish enough to buy oil with stupid molecules
thumbsup2.gif

I think the correct term would be "challenged molecules".

"All oil" doesn't cling to parts!

Polar cuts and Di ester and POA = yes

FAE =yes

Beloved PAO = NO !
.. Another drawback is that PAO is a non-polar molecule which means lubricating films of PAO are generally weaker than the other … ++

many group III = NO.

++ mototribology.com/arti

Havent you notice that "advanced synthetic" fake syn trying to climb off the dipstick not properly wetting it? I have.

The used magnatec is incredibly easy to read on a smooth dipstick. It has darkened a bit with use but stays on the dipstick with some tension and does not flatten out and spread.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The full syn maggie seem to run like the hated castrol synpower.

Would you kindly elaborate?

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Originally Posted By: CT8
thumbsup2.gif

I think the correct term would be "challenged molecules".
sorry !

Magnatec is a great buy, I have used it a bunch in the KIA and the Lincoln and liked it a lot. Cold starts in the KIA (notoriously loud starters) were indeed quieter with Magnatec in the sump. Have not used it much since I went to 10k OCI's though.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Magnatec is a great buy, I have used it a bunch in the KIA and the Lincoln and liked it a lot. Cold starts in the KIA (notoriously loud starters) were indeed quieter with Magnatec in the sump. Have not used it much since I went to 10k OCI's though.

Was doing some extra poking around. There seems to be some discrepancies on whether or not it's fully synthetic, or just synthetic additives. I've been unable to locate any info regarding the composition of their base stock. Any ideas?

The Magnatec labeled full synthetic is as full synthetic as any other brand labeled as such that you will find at Wal-Mart and other similar stores. Some of it has semi-synthetic on the label which many people actually prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back