Maine Coon cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have always enjoyed cats growing up and I am thinking about a pure bred Maine Coon cat or Kitten. I hear they are intelligent, fun, playful and effectionate. Anyone hear have one or ever have one they could comment on?

I had three sisters registered from a breeder. They made great pets. Strong but clumsy, they entertain with their antics. The males are a little more active and get larger. Make sure to get one from a good breeder.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4787154/Re:_not_a_cat_person...#Post4787154

Swiper, the stray that we got in January is part Maine Coon (he has the "M") on his forehead, and still with baby teeth was bigger than the others that had a 5-6 month head start.

Wife left him too late to get him neutered, so he's doing stuff everywhere.

As to water, he ran from the squirt bottle at 3AM when he was stirring up the other two. Will pull the strainer out of baths and sinks, and play in the shower after we've finished.

VERY affectionate, but will switch instantly and latch on to you.

Like any animal, they need to know who's in charge. Doesn't modify behaviour when "sweety, will you stop doing that, it's annoying mummy"...funny that.

Last edited:
Had one and Oily_Thing is exactly right. I had a big male that lived to 18 years old. He was an amazing companion. RIP Bumphrey's

We had one for 18 years. Most laid back cat we’ ve ever had. Would’nt hesitate for a minute to get another one. Great cats!

Had brother and sister identically marked, only difference was size.

1 sack cat food = one sack cat hair.

Both mostly outdoor cats in the country, for almost 18 years. Male lost his hearing, they decided to retire.

Best hunters ever, no Voles, rats, mice, rabbits, squirrels, ever until they retired. Never harvested another pecan after that, no garden either. And no stray or Ferrel dogs or cats either.

Male lived 21,5, his sister lived 20,5. He mourned her passing every day. Male became an epilepsy alert car for my daughter, rather than go out he spent every night on her bed once it started. If she needed me, well at 21 lbs he was not to be ignored. Then one night he went out. My daughter never had another seizure.

Very smart, very laid back, very affectionate.

Except for the hair, the perfect cat.

Rod

The "M" on the forehead does not necessarily signify Maine Coon; it's a common characteristic of domestic shorthair (a very common non-purebred) and other ordinary domestic cats worldwide.

My mother had one named Alex; great cat.

OTOH, there are plenty of great 'premade' cats in the world without someone making more for any particular reason. JMO

We had one for about 9 years, a female. As happens in this breed, she developed urinary problems and began using her litter box only when she wanted to. We ended up placing her through a Maine Coon Rescue Service. She was smart and very affectionate, but our home furnishings won in a close decision.

Agree with the above. Mine was named Gus and he was a great, loving cat. Wife and I have had cats for over 40 years, at times with 19 in the family. Now, down to two, a tonkanese and a plain ‘ol black and white short hair. If I had the money I’d get an F1 savanna cat or a serval. Problem is I’m 66 years old and just about any cat can live to near 20 years old, so that kinda wipes me out of the new cat scene. Darn shame...

If you are wanting one for it's personality, look into a female tortoise shell cat from your local animal shelter. Not sure what it is about them, but they have a personality much like the Maine Coon.. you just don't need a kiddie (kitty) pool for a catbox. Lol.

We had one as child. They are quite large and yes oddly like water(ours swam in pond) and seem to want to be outside or go crazy inside.

My brother in law has one and it has some odd behavior to me like playing with a skunk. 25lb+ cat has taken on foxes trying to hunt its twenty chickens it protects by spending a lot of time on a chicken coop.

I'm so glad this thread came up. I know of 3 of them and have never seen one of them do anything but look like door-stops.

It is possible that the 3 I know of were just overfed house animals.

Admittedly I've never spent time with them in their respective houses so my data is ZERO.

We have two males (5 yrs old & litter mates) and they're great. IMO in many ways they act like dogs. They like to hang out with you, but not always ON you if that makes any sense. They're sturdy and generally have a great temperament (Will tolerate children, other household pets and sometimes strangers).

Yes they shed, but if you brush them a lot as kittens they'll be more likely to tolerate it as adults.

Coons take 4 years to fully mature and being a purebred they have some potential health issues such as heart and hip problems.

Great mousers. Definitely an apex predator.

My only advice: - Don't declaw them because it can change their temperament (make them a biter) but more importantly because they can no longer grab hold of something they can't get a good stretch with their front paws. Cats need to be able to stretch their joints/muscles. - Watch their weight. Yes these cats are big, but sometimes I think they're overfed. A lean cat is less likely to have hip problems, kidney or become diabetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
We have two males (5 yrs old & litter mates) and they're great. IMO in many ways they act like dogs. They like to hang out with you, but not always ON you if that makes any sense. They're sturdy and generally have a great temperament (Will tolerate children, other household pets and sometimes strangers).

Agree.

Ours actually likes to hang with our dogs. Even goes with us when we walk the dogs.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Agree with the above. Mine was named Gus and he was a great, loving cat. Wife and I have had cats for over 40 years, at times with 19 in the family. Now, down to two, a tonkanese and a plain ‘ol black and white short hair. If I had the money I’d get an F1 savanna cat or a serval. Problem is I’m 66 years old and just about any cat can live to near 20 years old, so that kinda wipes me out of the new cat scene. Darn shame...

Go to the shelter and get an older cat, save a life that would otherwise go to waste. It might blow your mind when the cat lives to 25.

As a side note, we have two a shorthair and a Siberian.

The old lady trained the shorthair to jump threw hoops, sit, shake paw, high five, go around... Maybe something I am forgetting.

Treat motivated, easy to train.

I saw him get dumped out of a red Pontiac sunbird, he was a kitten and the coyotes should have had a little shack,so we took him.

The Siberian just showed up also, he was still little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back