Any info on Antares tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart sells these but any way for my new used cheap car. The little 01 Saturn sl1 I'd like to replace the tires that are on it. They're scary in the rain they are made by GT....which I know zero about but anyway there is these Antares tires for $36 a piece. I've never heard of them but the reviews online I saw were compelling. And the price point is good. Does anyone have any info about this brand. Itd a cheap car so cheap tires are fine as long as they are adew and safe.

Good reviews, at least on this Antares tire: https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/49651287
Most people are having good experiences with this tire. It does save money. I've ordered Chinese tires too, LionHart tires, and am hoping they have decent quality and are generally well built. We'll see. I think the Chinese have learned a lot in the past few years about western countries' recall (NHTSA) laws and try not to make dangerous junk anymore. At least, a lot of people are doing just fine on the cheap stuff.

Don't know if they are good or bad. I just figure on-line reviews, especially for a bargain priced tire are probably written by people who just replaced bald MayPops, so anything is world class after the previous tires.

So I'd take such reviews with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Walmart sells these but any way for my new used cheap car. The little 01 Saturn sl1 I'd like to replace the tires that are on it. They're scary in the rain they are made by GT....which I know zero about but anyway there is these Antares tires for $36 a piece. I've never heard of them but the reviews online I saw were compelling. And the price point is good. Does anyone have any info about this brand. Itd a cheap car so cheap tires are fine as long as they are adew and safe.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Walmart sells these ......these Antares tires for $36 a piece.
LionHart 185/65-14 tires are $29 at Walmart.com
I'm guessing the LionHarts are decent. Like Antares, they are Chinese tires. Anyway, when I get my order in (225/55-17 LionHarts) in a couple of days, and install them at Walmart probably, I'll know more, at least in my one case. Maybe it will go well. Maybe not. I think its worth trying to save a bunch of money.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Don't know if they are good or bad. I just figure on-line reviews, especially for a bargain priced tire are probably written by people who just replaced bald MayPops, so anything is world class after the previous tires. So I'd take such reviews with a grain of salt.
On-line customer reviews will at least uncover persistent, noticeable quality problems. If too many people were having trouble with the tires, that would show up in negative comments that bring the average rating down. It is necessary to have lots of people reporting in to get a consensus average, thats for sure.

Chinese Tires have a long way to go to equal most common well known brand tires but if you're shopping the bargain bin, they may be no worse than the alternatives at that price from anyone.

A lot of people don't drive tires hard or don't even know what a "good" tire feels like, so I would take reviews with a good deal of skepticism. Remember the phrase "for the price" means the reviewer is saying they are not as good as a "better" more expensive product.

But if all you do is drive in mostly straight lines and you don't speed or travel at 70 on the highway (where braking performance will show up in tens of feet) they might be adequate. Just know that one important full-pedal stop might mean hitting something versus stopping long before impact. Drive accordingly.

I've bought and driven Chinese Wall-Mart tires myself, they are not terrible as in they are as durable as any, but stopping distances were an easy 30 feet longer from 60 versus a better mid-priced tire from the usual suspects and they squealed a lot on moderate non-lockup stops, and locked up abruptly and earlier. What can you say? They're round and they work reasonably well; we have driven on far worse examples back in the 70's and survived.

I wouldn't say "don't" but just be aware that budget tires are a compromise in some performance categories no matter who makes them.

Once bought some prometer tires, cheap probably made in china but one of the best set of tires I have owned. If they are DOT approved you should be ok

Size is 185/65-14, right?
smile.gif

Walmart has Lionhart tires for only $29 each
27.gif

No really though, get real tires. Walmart's Douglas tires are only $40 and are made by Goodyear. Most of them are even made in the US

For $50, you can get the Nokian Entyre or the new Cooper Evolution Tour (an updated CS3)

For only several hundred dollars more you could have Michelins......

Thought I beat somebody to the punch.........

Last edited:
With kids riding in the car? Nah, I'd at least get some sort of a brand name. That size is dirt cheap.

General's or Uniroyals.

Tires from China have a spotty quality record; worse than most other sources.

This topic is like most anything else; it depends on your expectations ....

If you were putting "new" tires on to sell the car, I'd get the cheapest you can find.
If you're putting on tires to use yourself, but only for limited applications and minimal use; cheap is OK.
If you're putting your family's life on the line, daily, and then expecting excellent things over the long haul, Chinese tires are not the right choice.

Often we see "reviews" of tires from people whom have only 5k or 10k miles on them. I expect tires to last a MINIMUM of 60k miles. I want to read reviews of folks who've put 50k miles on Chinese tires and have good things to say; then I'll be a believer. Far more often than not, the low quality of the tires reveals itself over the long haul. They wear poorly, grip poorly and get broken belts from typical events like hitting pot-holes other tires would survive.

I am not saying not to get cheap tires. I'm saying be aware of the true value you are buying, and foregoing.

Caveat Emptor.

Total gamble and many cheap tires start wonderful at first and go sideways in the first 10k in my experience over twenty years.

I just buy well reviewed tires as I have been burned by brands such as Remington (US) and Sumitomo on my old car and basically replaced them at 10k mark. I was able to sell them off for $75 for entire set but it still stung. Tires seem to only matter when conditions of road are less then spectacular like snow, rain, icing or you are avoiding something quickly and hope you have grip.

No thanks to cheap ones unless I plan on dumping car.

I bought Chinese tires once and had Michelin before on a Sentra. I could not handle how poor they rode and went back to the shop and they installed something else. But that was 15+ years ago.

My favorite tires on my Saturn were RT43's mounted on 14" rims. Last one I purchased was a Wal-Mart. Superb in rain. Handled well.

After getting those Chinese tires removed they installed Goodyear Integrity. I cried whenever I drove my Sentra after that. Felt every bump. Hydroplaned. After that I paid attention to what tires I put on. Four or Five years of driving joy is worth a few extra bucks.

I've used Lexani's, made in Taiwan and they were fine. Also Pirelli's, made in China; also fine. Personal call, buy what your wallet can stand.

I am always concerned about tire reviews with only a few thousand miles on them and the owner loves'em. I've purchased new private label tires and initially/immediately thought that they were better than my worn out brand name tire that were good. I want to know how a tire is at 10K, 15K, 20K and longer miles because this is where a tire shows it true colors. Come to find out that(in my experience), these private label tires are nothing more than BLACK & ROUND!

Also I am concerned when I can't find much information about a tire from my web search. The information may be quite vague. If so, I don't want them. I don't want the best tire in a category, I want a tire that is a high scorer in a category and is the right tire for my needs.

I have learned the hard way with e.g., private label tires. I won't buy'em anymore!
I'm not saying that Antares tire are only black & round, I am just saying!

Last edited:
Never used Antares tires, so I can't say either way. But never buy LPX Radar tires. They are Chinese made and absolute junk.
I got a set put on by the dealer when I bought the car as part of the deal. Ran ok for the first 10k miles, at 15k miles the right front blew out on the highway. All tires still had 8/32 tread left. After replacing them with a set of General AS-05 tires, the tire place noticed all of the tires where about to fail. Deep cracking in the face of the tire within the tread and the back of the tire had brown dust all over them. The tire place said that is normal on a tire where there is an improper amount of additive of UV protectant mixed in with the rubber compound. Which explains the cracking. Chinese tires, it's buyer beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back