Guys hugging other guys instead of shaking hands is this new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grew up in an Italian family. You hug your family members, and people you consider family. Was brought up to never leave someone you love without telling them “ I love you” just in case those are the last word you say to them or they hear from you.

Rather shake hands with others, hate fist bumps think it is weak and silly. What’s disappointing is when you shake hands with someone who does not have a firm handshake

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Some of you girls really got your panties all wadded up.
laugh.gif

lol.gif

Great point.... Agenda driven is quite accurate.

And yes I see where people want to act like women and men are just about the exact same. And that garbage in my view. We are different in ways and that ok.

This may come as surprise to some on here... Yeah I'm the type guy that can hug a 100 yr old lady and hold her until she's settled down. And yes I've had tears in my eyes many times in helping with my patients and their families.

But I also believe in being a man's man. Being strong when needed. Staying controlled and emotions in check when needed at times as well. I also believe there's a time to stand up and dig in and take a stand and confront people at times as well. And if need be very physically aggressively if needed. When you're dealing with an aggressive male patient... Getting and using overwhelming force sends a message.. and that's needed at times. To tell the other male... That I'm King bad donkey here. And that what they are doing cannot stand. I've only had to do that 3 times in the last 8 years. But sometimes... It is needed. Be a man. Protect those ladies I work with has mattered in those times.

As has my initial interaction with people... It depends upon how they are and how I perceive them. I recently meet an older gentleman and he was from Wyoming. He was a bit stoic in nature but seemed friendly in a way. He got a firm handshake and eye contact. Later on in the evening after I made his dinner we talked some and he was very pleased with what I had made. Then we played Cornhole against each other. I had never played before. I was practicing by myself and he was watching. Then he challenged me to a game. There were two colors of bean bags red and blue... Then he started talking junk to me in the early part of them game. Playfully mind you. He said that I wasn't doing as good because it was a real game. That got me going. Then the subject of bean bag color came up again and he said he should have had the blue ones... To which I responded that I thought pink was more his color of choice
lol.gif

I whooped him 21-10. Making 6 shots straight in. We joked back and forth throughout the game. After the game I shook his hand again. He was a really fun and cool older gentleman.

It does depend upon the other person in what I do. And I am a very good judge of that. I am conservative in my nature in initial actions in meeting someone. Though I am cool with whatever someone else does.

Family and good friends usually get hugs.

Professional courier workers could get either or. Women co workers get hugs generally. Unless I know that the lady is stand offish at all times. They get a handshake with one hand over top the other.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: plf
Rather shake hands with others, hate fist bumps think it is weak and silly. What’s disappointing is when you shake hands with someone who does not have a firm handshake
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Handshakes need to be firm but not crazy. Limp, damp handshakes are the worst lol.
I knew I was not alone.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
But I also believe in being a man's man. Being strong when needed. Staying controlled and emotions in check when needed at times as well. I also believe there's a time to stand up and dig in and take a stand and confront people at times as well. And if need be very physically aggressively if needed. When you're dealing with an aggressive male patient... Getting and using overwhelming force sends a message.. and that's needed at times. To tell the other male... That I'm King bad donkey here. And that what they are doing cannot stand. I've only had to do that 3 times in the last 8 years. But sometimes... It is needed. Be a man. Protect those ladies I work with has mattered in those times.
Someone buy this man a beer.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
As has my initial interaction with people... It depends upon how they are and how I perceive them. I recently meet an older gentleman and he was from Wyoming. He was a bit stoic in nature but seemed friendly in a way. He got a firm handshake and eye contact. Later on in the evening after I made his dinner we talked some and he was very pleased with what I had made. Then we played Cornhole against each other. I had never played before. I was practicing by myself and he was watching. Then he challenged me to a game. There were two colors of bean bags red and blue... Then he started talking junk to me in the early part of them game.
*snickers*

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I think personal contact like that is way bigger in European countries. But if its someone you're relatively close with why not.
I don't even like the handshake in the US anymore. Somewhere along the line a "firm" handshake turned into "grip their hand as hard as you can". I guess its a power move, I just laugh knowing they wouldn't like it if I did the same...

Worst handshake I ever got was from a new CEO making the rounds at a company I ended up working at for a long time, he was a pretty tiny guy but grabbed my fingertips and squeezed as hard as he could without grunting. Seemed like a power move and given that I was the biggest guy in the room and nobody else got that treatment, either he just took an instant dislike to me and/or he was making sure I knew my place despite towering over him.

In respectable Roman society, it was common for men to knew each other to greet with a kiss.
We can laugh, but they dominated the Western world for a good 500 years or more.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Men should shake hands.
The girly bro hug is stupid.
Family gets hugs or shakes.

Agree, I'm more comfortable with that situation.

Honestly, nowadays the fist bump is the least uncomfortable one in my opinion.
It avoids weird/untraditional handshake methods. Avoids weak, awkward handshakes. Doesn't lead into half 3/4 or full hugs. Doesn't turn into a grip battle.

This is for casual encounters with people you are not 100% familiar with. Professional "handshakes" should still be just that. Handshakes between friends or close acquaintances or family should be whatever those two individuals are comfortable with.

Given the reason for hand shaking becoming custom, I can see why certain people would see it as aggressive and want it bred out.

Went to our nation's capital last year for my nephew's 21st.

Bro and nephews, the hug made sense, but all these complete strangers, as I held out my hand came in for the hug...very foreign to me.

Out here in the sticks we do use it for a good mate whose going away, or come back, or after a good talk about issues and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back