Guys hugging other guys instead of shaking hands is this new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Yeah, I don't get it, and quite frankly I don't like it. The only people I would want to hug me would be my current boyfriend but other than that, no thanks, you're invading my personal bubble. And don't get me started on the half a dozen different handshakes and fist-bumps...

Fist bumps are a pretty universal unobtrusive greeting. I usually stick my fist out for a bump when departing, I've never been denied and some people make it awkward but that usually dissipates because it is too innocuous to refuse. The worst is when you go for the bump and someone thinks you are going for the shake. That has happened to me a few times but always works itself out in the end!

The occasional exploding hand for emphasis is fun too, but that's an advanced procedure.

Originally Posted By: 853okg
I know that sounds like crazy talk to you...

Yes, yes it does; because it is.

Hugs with immediate family only. Anyone else its a handshake. Never have hugged another man outside of my father, son and grandson's. Guess I am just not with it, and I prefer to stay that way.

It's not like an embraced hug, just a quick half hug is what most people do. Doesn't really bother me.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Originally Posted By: 853okg
I know that sounds like crazy talk to you...

Yes, yes it does; because it is.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

You ever seen Midnight Express? Do you recall the part where he describes how the locals view homosexuality?

No, never seen the movie, don't feel like looking it up either. I'd ask you to fill me in but I really don't care--I tend not to follow Hollywood trends.

I don't get as many respectable handshakes as I once did, so there's that.
I judge other men harshly on their handshake, if some soyboy tried to hug me instead of shaking my hand I would be upset with that.

It's feminization, men are no longer allowed to have their own greetings. We must copy female behavior so no one gets their feelings hurt and we can all be the same.
02.gif

Do you hear yourself when you talk? Soyboy? Feminization?

What an absolute idiot.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I judge other men harshly on their handshake, if some soyboy tried to hug me instead of shaking my hand I would be upset with that.

It's feminization, men are no longer allowed to have their own greetings. We must copy female behavior so no one gets their feelings hurt and we can all be the same.
02.gif

What an absolute idiot.

Careful RooflessVW I'm sure the poster has an extreme tough guy handshake. btw - if someone judges my "toughness" by my handshake and they are foolish enough to act on that silly notion, they are going to be surprised by what happens next. Someone shows me how strong they are especially with a handshake grip and I can use it to break multiple bones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cashmoney

02.gif

What an absolute idiot.

Careful RooflessVW I'm sure the poster has an extreme tough guy handshake. btw - if someone judges my "toughness" by my handshake and they are foolish enough to act on that silly notion, they are going to be surprised by what happens next.

There's nothing I hate more than the tough guy, dominating, iron grip handshake. If I get one of those, I'm on alert because I know the guy is compensating for something else and is likely not trustworthy. Handshakes are disgusting anyway, why do I want to touch some stranger's hand?

As for hugs, I've never had anyone I didn't know really well or was close to come in for one.

02.gif

What an absolute idiot.
Do you preview your posts before you hit the submit button? You just called that person you quoted an idiot! A lot of this type of derogatory, demeaning language has been going on here lately.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Do you preview your posts before you hit the submit button? You just called that person you quoted an idiot! A lot of this type of derogatory, demeaning language has been going on here lately.

Yeah, I censored myself.

Do you condone his asinine characterization and world view?

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
My coworker buddies fist bump, high five or hand shake. My close buddies I hug. Sometimes we like to spoon.

Well good for you. No hugging of men required for me, and no I am not uptight of homophobic. If maybe at a funeral, the handshake and half hug as you say you are sorry for their loss is acceptable. Beyond that no.

I don't want to even shake hands, its dumb and old. First no one knows how to shake hands, its either a limp shake with no grip or a death grip. Second, people are gross. Yea, let me shake hands with your hand you just wiped your butt with or held your member with to pee. Oh boy, great.

I got to the point where I announced I'm done shaking hands. I will only do it for business needs, other than that f it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
There's nothing I hate more than the tough guy, dominating, iron grip handshake. If I get one of those, I'm on alert because I know the guy is compensating for something else and is likely not trustworthy. Handshakes are disgusting anyway, why do I want to touch some stranger's hand?

As for hugs, I've never had anyone I didn't know really well or was close to come in for one.

Yeah dude I hate that. Eye contact and the same grip you would give a power tool if you were using it? sort of.
Eye contact #1, you just need to put a little effort into the grip to show that you are not a wimp.

Have you guys never been disappointed with a handshake before? I'm not some macho wannabee tough guy but handshakes are super important to me for a first impression. It's like that episode of King of The Hill.

I've been disappointed with one from a teacher I respected on the last day of class, than I saw him again and got a good handshake! It was one of the most cathartic experiences of my life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back