2019 Chevy Cruze to offer disabling auto start stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess GM seems to think enough people hate it, and it was wise to give them an option to disable it. They might have also made CAFE with it disabled in model year 2019, and now they can have a disable feature.

Last edited:
I hated it on the rental Malibu I had earlier this year. I have daily driven a manual for as long as I can remember and I tend to either keep my foot lightly on the brake pedal or completely off of it out of habit. On this car when it would restart the engine the whole car would jump forward. The first couple times it scared the you know what out of me and my aunt would ask if I was sure I knew how to drive a car.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I guess GM seems to think enough people hate it, and it was wise to give them an option to disable it. They might have also made CAFE with it disabled in model year 2019, and now they can have a disable feature.

It wasn't only because of the folks that hate it here at Bitog. Give it a couple of years and its going the way of the dodo or off by default.

Still a crock that it’s guaranteed to not be a non-latching button. Meaning it will have to be turned off every.single.time the car is started. That’s how it is on my Cadillac. And if a dang Cruze gets the ability to turn it off permanently, the Dealer and I will be having a not so pleasant talk.

From Trav.. "It wasn't only because of the folks that hate it here at Bitog. Give it a couple of years and its going the way of the dodo or off by default."

Here's hoping! I eliminated a few otherwise decent vehicles from my list when shopping for new wheels this spring because they had start/stop.

I've rented enough of them that had start/stop to know that I would never be happy with that feature in my own car.

It will very likely have to be set each time the car is key cycled. GM still gets CAFE credit if it kicks back on after a key cycle. It is that simple, if they want CAFE credit it had to turn on automatically when the vehicle is started.

Sorry for repeating a couple times but there is a lot of bad information about why automakers do this. That being said, I love the feature in my 2.7L and worked on the development team for another engine. I have zero hesitation about ever having it on one of me vehicles.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
From Trav.. "It wasn't only because of the folks that hate it here at Bitog. Give it a couple of years and its going the way of the dodo or off by default."

Here's hoping! I eliminated a few otherwise decent vehicles from my list when shopping for new wheels this spring because they had start/stop.

I've rented enough of them that had start/stop to know that I would never be happy with that feature in my own car.

Bad technology looking for a home IMO. No better than the little black rubber covered push button on the left side of the firewall on cars of the late 70's.

Originally Posted By: Trav
r than the little black rubber covered push button on the left side of the firewall on cars of the late 70's.

What did that do?

That drives me nuts....when my windows are down and I hear all the cars "start" back up again at the light...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
That drives me nuts....when my windows are down and I hear all the cars "start" back up again at the light...

I know folks here enjoy a good GM smack down like it was 25 yo scotch … but 2 weeks from now I will be in the EU riding every day in a black MB doing this …

I like the S/S feature myself. It is fairly sophisticated in that it determine when the feature should activate (eg, really cold/hot temps) and when the car should restart prior to letting off the brake pedal (eg, summertime and the cabin is starting to get warm).

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I like the S/S feature myself. It is fairly sophisticated in that it determine when the feature should activate (eg, really cold/hot temps) and when the car should restart prior to letting off the brake pedal (eg, summertime and the cabin is starting to get warm).

Me too, I don't see a logical argument against it besides "It's not what I'm used to, robble robble." So stupid for an engine to idle at a stoplight, drives me nuts that it took this long for this to become common place.

There are issues with these system and their vulnerabilities. AFAIK no manufacturer is using Irox bearings in full production engines at this time, their long term durability remains unproven as they were introduced in 7/17.

Add to crankshaft bearing wear, dual batteries, different and more far more expensive starter and related components and it quickly becomes an expensive proposition as this tech ages to save a little fuel.
At this time most engine bearings and crankshafts share the same part number with or without start/stop which are designed for approx 50,000 start stop cycles not the 500K possible from start stop.

Trusting manufacturers will develop better materials in the future that will last a minimum of a decade or more does no one any good today that is buying one of these.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

Originally Posted By: Trav
There are issues with these system and their vulnerabilities. AFAIK no manufacturer is using Irox bearings in full production engines at this time, their long term durability remains unproven as they were introduced in 7/17.

Add to crankshaft bearing wear, dual batteries, different and more far more expensive starter and related components and it quickly becomes an expensive proposition as this tech ages to save a little fuel.
At this time most engine bearings and crankshafts share the same part number with or without start/stop which are designed for approx 50,000 start stop cycles not the 500K possible from start stop.

Trusting manufacturers will develop better materials in the future that will last a minimum of a decade or more does no one any good today that is buying one of these.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine

Hey Trav,

A couple of comments and questions.

#1 Here's a link on the tech behind S/S. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109687_dont-start-stop-systems-wear-out-your-cars-starter

"(1) The gear ratio from the starter-drive pinion to the flywheel ring gear is optimized to make the starter's motor turn more slowly. This can be done without materially changing the design of the transmission or flywheel at all on existing designs.

Crucially, this reduces starter-motor speed (in RPM), since 90 percent of starter-motor brush wear occurs not during cranking, but during the coast-down after the start has finished. If a higher-torque motor can spin more slowly, its coast-down time is shorter, increasing its longevity.

(2) The composition of the carbon and copper brushes on a start-stop motor differs from its traditional counterparts to increase longevity without accelerating the wear on the commutator.

(3) Rather than rely on oil-impregnated bushings for the rotating assemblies, start-stop starters mostly use needle bearings.

(4) The solenoid on start-stop starters decouples the mechanical action of engaging the drive pinion into the flywheel from the electrical action of stopping and starting the motor.

This allows for a dedicated design to turn power on and off to the motor, optimizing contact design and wear, against contacts that have to be integrated as part of a spring-loaded plunger.

This also reduces the electrical load requires to turn the engine, so that there is enough current available for accessories/lighting to operate during the start event.

(5) Finally, start-stop motors are integrated with other technologies that identify when each cylinder of the engine will reach top-dead center.

That lets the fuel injectors pulse and fire during the middle of a complete rotation of the crank, against having to wait for a complete revolution that lets the first cylinder reach that position to start the fuel-spark timing sequence."

#2 I've seen comments regarding the number of starts with wear on the crank. My question is whether the figure is for ALL starts or just "cold starts"?

Last edited:
I think start-stop is a false economy. If it's a part of a micro-hybrid system, sure but a 12V starter won't spin the oil pump enough to provide a good oil film on the crank journals.

The same fear was attached with the Prius and Insight - however a true hybrid will spin the crank quicker getting the oil pump to pressure sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back