New Silverado with 80's paint scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
A dealer in Minnesota is doing this to brand new Silverados and I think it looks great!

News story

message-editor%2F1512681104412-24796395_1461919897248272_6803689511047562832_n.jpg

http://www.thedrive.com/news/16762/chevr...-super-10-build

I had an 85 Chevy Big 10 BITD. Half ton with heavy springs and a 350/ M4 truck tranny. Solid red, good truck.

Like how they replicated the aluminum trim pieces with vinyl but was never a fan of the 2-tone.

No thanks. the 80's was pretty much a design/style disaster all the way around. Not just for cars either.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
No thanks. the 80's was pretty much a design/style disaster all the way around. Not just for cars either.

You obviously didnt watch any truck pulling events and see the k10 blazers then
smile.gif

Says who!

Originally Posted By: car51

You obviously didnt watch any truck pulling events and see the k10 blazers then
smile.gif

Nope, and I also did not have a mullet.

They should have finished the stripe earlier, it looks really weird under the tail light.

Also, you can tell they cheaped out by keeping the stripe under the door handles so they would not have to mess with them. The stripe is too low and throws off the balance of the truck. Those wheels are also pretty brutal, they should have went with a vintage looking wheel like the old GM Rally wheel, but again they cheaped out and went with steelies that are going to look awful when they rust. That rear tailgate graphic with the attempted 3D effect and strangely spaced lettering is also super cheesy.

You would think a dealership could have just slapped on reproduction old badges and wheels and called it a day, but nooooooo.......

EDIT: It looks more like a public works or Sheriff's truck than an old truck.

Last edited:
Just Polished mine today. I prefer the single color -JMO.

Last edited:
I can see painting anything any way you like.

Why did the dealership employ a vinyl strip instead of painting the border between the colors? It'll peel off.

Also a question; Did GM / Chevy / GMC use a stamped chrome / aluminum strip between the colors back in the '80"s? I think they did.
Those strips employed large plastic body moulding clips and holes in the body, no?

Three cheers for show cars / trucks but I don't want to spend money on any of it.....especially when it required holes in the truck's side. Again, I know it's vinyl today.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Did Chevy ever make a Big10 1/2 ton truck with 4 doors back in the day?

Nope. Crew cab long box was called the 3+3 and was only C/K30/3500. There were no short boxes other than half tons and no extended cab like ford or dodge had. 73 to 87/91 were the years of that body style.

I kinda like the paint job and the white wheels. I could do without the simulated trim though. Never did like the trim strips.

Last edited:
Yeah the rims wreck it for me. Needs smaller chrome ones, around 16" or so.

If they sell one, they sold it! The stacked headlights show this lineage anyway-- they just amplified it.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Did Chevy ever make a Big10 1/2 ton truck with 4 doors back in the day?

Nope. Crew cab long box was called the 3+3 and was only C/K30/3500. There were no short boxes other than half tons and no extended cab like ford or dodge had. 73 to 87/91 were the years of that body style.

I kinda like the paint job and the white wheels. I could do without the simulated trim though. Never did like the trim strips.

C20s were available in crew cabs, also. No K20 crews, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back