2010 Mercedes Bluetec diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
160,000 km and I have the startup rattle. It only happens when the car has been sitting for over a day. I went from 5w30 oil to 5w40 and it helped. My question is - has anyone tried STP to help this. My thinking is that the rattle is caused by the oil draining off and the STP would help that. Would it cause a problem with the diesel particulate filter? Any thoughts? Roger

No one likes additives here and they probably will not help you. I would never just start chucking additives in the oil of a Euro CRD like that either.

If your car had a spin on filter (I assume it doesn't) I would say ADBV.

Good luck, my dad has a 2017 2500 that has already had the trans swapped. Owners sing their praises only while the warranty is still valid.

Originally Posted By: RogerBacon
160,000 km and I have the startup rattle. It only happens when the car has been sitting for over a day. I went from 5w30 oil to 5w40 and it helped. My question is - has anyone tried STP to help this. My thinking is that the rattle is caused by the oil draining off and the STP would help that. Would it cause a problem with the diesel particulate filter? Any thoughts? Roger

5W30 seems way too light an oil for a diesel normally they go 15W40 and more recently 0W or5W40.

That light oil may be the root cause of the rattle. Also the OCI even if sanctioned by MB is not good for the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back