Oil for Focus ST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any threads for the Focus ST (2.0 direct injected turbo, mine is stock) lately since some oils have updated formulas recently. Based on VOAs and UOAs here, what would be the "best" oil for my ST?

I would like recommendations for full synthetic, widely available oils. Like Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Mobil1, Valvoline Synthetic, Castrol Magnatec, etc. I also want to stick with a 5W30. No conventional oils, no botique oils.

The castrol oils seem to have a decent amount of moly per some VOAs I saw on here recently, there's another post on here now about someone running PP in traffic and the temp staying very low for that application.

I'm currently running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 5k intervals. I chose the Platinum mainly because it has the Ford spec, the Honda/Acura turbo spec, and I read some decent things on here about it.

The Pennzoil seems to do well but I was curious if Edge or M1, Magnatec, or some other oil would be better. What would you run and why?

I would stick with the PP 5w30, it's a great oil and I don't think you'd see any tangible benefits switching to anything else here.

Any oil that has the specs required will be fine. I like the Magnetch and the Valvoline Full syn with Maxlife Technology much better than the Pennzoil platinum in my 2015 2.7 Eco Boost [Butt dino}and my wife has driven the truck pedal to the medal on many occasions But I doubt there will be a dimes worth of difference for 300,000 + miles. There is a you tube review of a 200,000 3.5 eco boost running semi syn oil at 5,000 mile oil change intervals. We as mass consumers really fall for marketing claims.

Because it’s a direct injected turbo you can take advantage of the SN Plus oils that just came out. They do come in 5W30 as well as other weights. There was a posting here about a week ago showing some of the brands such as Pennzoil, Quaker State and Castrol.

Last edited:
Carolina's?

Candidate for my new favourite oil from the past decade:

10W30 NON DEXOS Quaker State Ultimate Durability or QSUD as we call it here.

I liked it better than 5w30 PP in my Nissan QR25DE and I don't know why.

I didn't like Magnatec Full syn (and neither did my coworker) but loved the Semi Syn.

Also know that moly is a "dirty additive" and can jam up turbo bearings and rings if the engine doesnt have a good hot shutdown timer to allow for proper cooldown.

Please know and be aware that most "full Syn" in America are semi syn. "Fully Synthetic Oil" is defined as a MARKETING TERM and allows lower quality group III pertroleum stocks rather than the use of heretofore majority Group IV and/or V base stocks.

I will say the most stout oil I've "abused" was Edge gold bottle many years ago - but it was the older non "liquid Ti" formulation.

If I was to break a profession recommendation practice, I would run 5w40 European car formula Real synthetic in that thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Because it’s a direct injected turbo you can take advantage of the SN Plus oils that just came out. They do come in 5W30 as well as other weights. There was a posting here about a week ago showing some of the brands such as Pennzoil, Quaker State and Castrol.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Castrol Magnatec is atleast what Ford recommends in Europe.

I had a copy of the owners manual for Ford Mondeos (Fusions in the US/Canada) from Ireland and it actually includes a Castrol logo and says something along the lines that the engine was "designed to use" Castrol oils. It doesn't specify a specific type of Castrol although it does say 0W-20 or 5W-20 are what can be used. Here, they only say 5W-20.

Any of the synthetics you listed will be fine. Any name-brand 5w30 will be good for your ST with no problems. So just shop by price; get whichcver one is on sale when it's time to change the oil
smile.gif

Most oils are Mehhh. Some are WOW!

I had to take a "mistaken" dealer oil change out of my Rogue a year ago. They dumped a good sump of QSUD 10W30.

Mystery Oil was Garbage. Sheared to water, no engine power above 3500 rpm. Garbage.

The Mobil 85w90 HD gear oil they put in my x-fer case and rear is also garbage.

AWD jamming up in the winter and poor fuel mileage this Summer.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 FoST with 35k miles and I've hopped around a lot with a few different brands, but always 5w30.

Currently I'm running Magnatec 5w30 full syn, mostly because it was the cheapest name brand syn. The car seems to be liking it, or maybe the summer blend fuel, or maybe it's just fully breaking in now as the car is getting its "career high" fuel mileage now and is running strong and quiet.

I'll stick with the Magnatec for 5k to 6k miles before I go in for another freebie dealer oil change with conventional Chevron. That stuff only stays in for 2k miles before I go back to a syn, probably Magnatec.

My recommendation: If the Magnatec is priced the same or less than Platinum, give it a try. And I say that as someone who has not historically been a big Castrol guy given that their oils generally always seemed to be on the higher priced side of most segments. Magnatec broke that tendency.

The wife's Explorer is running Magnatec syn now as well, and I already have another 6 quarts ready to go for its next oil change about 1000 miles from now. Since the Explorer's warranty is out, it's going over to 5w30 so I can run the same oil in both Fords. When the FoST extended warranty runs out at 70k, I might just switch the two cars over to 5w40 Rotella and run the same stuff in both my Japanese bikes as well. Commonality is cool.

Well thank you all for the replies, looks like I will likely just stick with the Pennzoil Platinum I am currently using, if I can find it (for some odd reason, 5W30 in this oil is really hard to find near me), or else Castrol Edge or Magnatec synthetic as my second choice if I can not find the Penn Plat when the time comes.

Originally Posted By: Jack2468
Well thank you all for the replies, looks like I will likely just stick with the Pennzoil Platinum I am currently using, if I can find it (for some odd reason, 5W30 in this oil is really hard to find near me), or else Castrol Edge or Magnatec synthetic as my second choice if I can not find the Penn Plat when the time comes.

That sounds odd that you have a hard time finding 5w30. Even at Walmart?

The Pennzoil Platinum is a excellent choice in 5w30.

Yeah for whatever reason, the local Walmart and other stores always seem to keep the Platinum in 0W20, 5W20, 10W30, and basically anything other than 5W30. Idk if they just sell a lot of it and are always sold out of it, of if they just don't stock much of it to begin with. If I see any on the shelf, I will grab it because I can't guarantee it'll be there when the time comes and I need it.

Originally Posted By: Jack2468
Yeah for whatever reason, the local Walmart and other stores always seem to keep the Platinum in 0W20, 5W20, 10W30, and basically anything other than 5W30. Idk if they just sell a lot of it and are always sold out of it, of if they just don't stock much of it to begin with. If I see any on the shelf, I will grab it because I can't guarantee it'll be there when the time comes and I need it.

Maybe ordering it online through Walmart will work with in store pickup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back