PF-64 for 2014 2.0T LTG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car - 2014 Regal awd turbo. I’m curious if The OEM GM Filter is decent quality. Any reports of failures / tears etc.. ? As I understand it this filter is supposed to have a 22 psi bypass. Is this correct ? Is the ADBV just nitrile ? Also isn’t Fram or Wix supposed to have an alternative to the PF-64 with the correct 22 psi rating ? Thanks

IMO the AC Delco PF64 is a mediocre filter. There is a fairly recent C&P of a PF64 on here that had torn media on it actually. You can do much better (Fram Ultra has the XG12060 coming out soon with the 22psi bypass, and Wix and NAPA Gold are available now with that bypass too)

I also believe that by having a cellulose media, the AC PF64 might go into bypass more often than another filter that has a less restrictive blended or fully synthetic media, even if that filter has a bypass setting of a little bit less than 22psi.

That Wix XP looks impressive. Is the Napa platinum the same filter ? Also I remember reading about a Fram meeting this 22 psi spec ?

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Also I remember reading about a Fram meeting this 22 psi spec ?

As I just mentioned, the Fram Ultra XG12060 is coming out soon, and you can currently get a regular Fram PH12060 that has the 22psi bypass (but that filter isn't one I would recommend)

And to answer your other question, the NAPA Platinum is the same as the Wix XP (both use fully synthetic media, although reports on here are that it's efficiency is not as good as the regular Wix/NAPA Gold that uses a blended media, I'm still curious as to how that's possible)

Just a few minutes ago I got a response from Purolator telling me that their Boss PBL11403 oil filter has a 25psi bypass (plus or minus 3 psi) So this might be another PF64 alternative, it uses a fully synthetic media.

Originally Posted By: Patman
The Boss doesn't have wire backing

The BOSS has an integrated nylon mesh backing ... so the media does have some extra support.

BOSSCutawayZoom-rev_03.jpg

There was one defective PF64 reported. GM dealers are installing them probably a thousand or more a day. That's what your Buick dealer would use. They do have round holes instead of louvers and GM put some higher specs in them. The manufacturer, Champion Labs, makes them. There have been many defective filters of other brands shown, yet people still think those are OK. For some reason the PF64 one defective shown has a lot of legs.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
There was one defective PF64 reported. GM dealers are installing them probably a thousand or more a day. That's what your Buick dealer would use. They do have round holes instead of louvers and GM put some higher specs in them. The manufacturer, Champion Labs, makes them. There have been many defective filters of other brands shown, yet people still think those are OK. For some reason the PF64 one defective shown has a lot of legs.
49.gif

Just because we only have one defective PF64 on here, doesn't mean there aren't a lot more in the field. Even in the case of the one on here, I don't think the owner noticed anything wrong until he cut it open, so there could be many more out there that people don't know about.

There just really isn't a good reason to spend $7 on a PF64 with paper media when for the exact same price you could get the much better built blended media NAPA Gold/Wix or for $2 more get the fully synthetic media Ultra.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The Boss doesn't have wire backing

The BOSS has an integrated nylon mesh backing ... so the media does have some extra support.

Oops, my bad! I missed that.

On our 2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T LTG i'm running the NAPA Platinum 47045 filter. This is the longer filter.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
49.gif

Just because we only have one defective PF64 on here, doesn't mean there aren't a lot more in the field. Even in the case of the one on here, I don't think the owner noticed anything wrong until he cut it open, so there could be many more out there that people don't know about.

There just really isn't a good reason to spend $7 on a PF64 with paper media when for the exact same price you could get the much better built blended media NAPA Gold/Wix or for $2 more get the fully synthetic media Ultra.

All very true. Now apply the standard to other filters and you almost can't use any of them. If there is one bad, there has to be more, that's the rule. That's why the DENSO guy appears regularly to say DENSO, no defects in them so far. I would use the PF64, as do hundreds of GM dealers every day. Until I saw a defect. That 22 psi Fram is long in coming, how long does it take to change the paint and a spring? EG and TG are out, don't use, defective ones shown.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
On our 2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T LTG i'm running the NAPA Platinum 47045 filter. This is the longer filter.
cheers3.gif

Does that filter have a 22 psi rating ? Any clearance issues running the longer filter ? Or does it stick out to far ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back