K&N filter minder expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve only seen the 10” and I think 25”. I got a wix for less than $20. The 10” k&n maxed out on one full throttle run with a new filter for me in the Mazda so I bought the wix and put the k&n on the truck.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Originally Posted By: Ducked
I made one for nothing, which is my more normal price.

Interesting. Do you have any pictures ?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...ric#Post4620273

Note, however, that I didn't exactly say it worked, though I THINK it did. I had to take it off before the last inspection, but I might fiddle with it some more when I get back to Taiwan.

The idea was that, since they quote filter restriction in inches of water, you could measure it directly in inches of water, with a water manometer.

The snags with that are (a) its a real time measurement and doesn't record the maximum restriction reached, and (b) its tricky to route the piping to a position where you can observe it while driving.

If, however, you arrange the manometer to suck water into the air intake, it'll stop sucking when the lift required equals the max vacuum in the air cleaner, so the headspace in the water bottle equals the max restriction.

In the process it'll also do some decoking.

I THINK.

All you really need for a very basic water manometer are a piece of clear tubing routed from the clean side of the filter to somewhere you can hang it and see it while driving, some sort of scale attached, and a small quantity of water in the tubing. Crude, but pretty accurate, if fine tuned to avoid problems with bubbles, water in the wrong part of the tube, etc.

Originally Posted By: CR94
All you really need for a very basic water manometer are a piece of clear tubing routed from the clean side of the filter to somewhere you can hang it and see it while driving, some sort of scale attached, and a small quantity of water in the tubing. Crude, but pretty accurate, if fine tuned to avoid problems with bubbles, water in the wrong part of the tube, etc.

Yeh, but that, especially the "somewhere you can hang it and see it while driving" thing is easier said than done, plus driving, certainly in Taiwan, is subject to some distractions, like, for instance, Taiwanese drivers.

I used a reservoir as a recorder because I also, in fact mostly, wanted some decoking. If that wasn't an objective there are probably other ways you could get it to trigger on a maximum vacuum.

Lowest tech might be dye/ink release or pH indicator with acid, but vapour/condensation might be a problem.

Put salt in the water and trigger on conductivity? (you'd have to correct for the higher density)

Put a float (rolled aluminium foil?) on the water column and trigger on conductivity?

Ferrous-ballast the float and get it to latch in close proximity to a strong magnet at the appropriate height?

These would be for routine monitoring. For occaisional testing the easiest and most informative thing would probably be to video the meniscus movement.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: CR94
All you really need for a very basic water manometer are a piece of clear tubing routed from the clean side of the filter to somewhere you can hang it and see it while driving, some sort of scale attached, ...

Yeh, but that, especially the "somewhere you can hang it and see it while driving" thing is easier said than done, plus driving, certainly in Taiwan, is subject to some distractions, like, for instance, Taiwanese drivers. ...
This low-budget method would be safer, easier, and probably more accurate with an assistant devoted to reading and recording the difference in water level in the tubing.

You can still use a 25" gauge, you just change the filter out at 15". You don't have to wait till its in the red, I use this on all my cars and truck.
http://filterminder.com/products/visual-...mmet-mount.html

I change my filters out at 11" over whatever it reads with a new filter(My S2000 runs 8" when new) but I have yet to change a filter out due to restrictoin. I go 6 years and change it out, had 90k miles on my S2000 and the restriction did not go up at all in all those miles.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back