19 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased this last week and I’d like to share a few thoughts. 9 speed tranny coupled with the 2.4 tiger shark has plenty of power for me and the wife. No it’s not a 5.7 Hemi, but if you want decent acceleration and 27 mpg avg. fuel economy then it’s fine by us. The engine and tranny were not built for quick acceleration or loads of torque. I can appreciate how the drive train works with the correct and steady acceleration. The interior is very nice. The FCA U Connect works well. The 4wd system works very well. Seems like the sport mode offers the best overall capability. I climbed a steep bank in our front yard easily. So far so good! Nice ride.

Those are nice little SUV's, I've only gotten to drive the 3.2 model and it's plenty quick. I'm sure the 2.4 does fine too.

I'm not a huge fan of the 9-speed though. It just doesn't seem to utilize it's gears all that well.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Those are nice little SUV's, I've only gotten to drive the 3.2 model and it's plenty quick. I'm sure the 2.4 does fine too.

I'm not a huge fan of the 9-speed though. It just doesn't seem to utilize it's gears all that well.

They fixed this in 2019 with the 2.0T and a transmission re-calibration.

Obv. a 9 speed will shift more than a 6speed.. but its much better than my 2017 with 3.2L V6

The 2.0T has about 50lb more torque(and at lower rpm).

The 2.0T comes with the higher gearing the 2.4L tigershark has. (3.7:1 vs 3.5:1 for v6)

A whole different experience..

Car has autostick(2019) vs ERS(2014-2018).. which is handy if you want to keep it in a gear on the highway.

ERS you locked out higher gears.. autostick it stays in the gear you select.

ERS worked great when towing or at lower speeds and you didnt want 6th gear and 1200rpm in town.

Autostick works great when you dont want it to drop 3 gears on a short hill.\

I'm sure the 2019 transmission in general works better than the earlier models.

The sport mode is also reworked to not be annoying. Previously it would hold 3000-4000rpm.. now its just sportier but not quite the "track mode" it was previously that made it annoying to use (well to me anyway)

It will still hold gears and such but if you are just moving at speed for 10sec or so it will let it shift down some.. not as much as auto.. but much more than the previous years "sport" mode.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Looks nice. I like the new front end.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
So much better than the previous look.

I like it as well. It's good to see they finally got away from those silly looking tiny thin, slit front headlights that made the whole vehicle look like a giant insect.

Good looking Jeep
smile.gif

I’m not a fan of Fiat but I do like how they designed that front grill while keeping the Jeep look. Sort of a modernizing look.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The Cherokee is one of the most American made cars you can buy. My wife has a 2017 with the 4 cyl 9 speed auto. No problems yet (one recall).

If you completely ignore that it is a FIAT-developed compact platform and developed in Turin Italy, uses the Italian developed global medium engine (again, Italian IP), and and that about 20% of it is made in Mexico.

It is mostly assembled in Illinois, so it is "imported" from detroit the midwest.

About as global-murican as you can get.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The Cherokee is one of the most American made cars you can buy. My wife has a 2017 with the 4 cyl 9 speed auto. No problems yet (one recall).

If you completely ignore that it is a FIAT-developed compact platform and developed in Turin Italy, uses the Italian developed global medium engine (again, Italian IP), and and that about 20% of it is made in Mexico.

It is mostly assembled in Illinois, so it is "imported" from detroit the midwest.

About as global-murican as you can get.

spot on....just like the Toyota tundra more American made then any domestic rivals, but try telling that to the Detroit cool aid drinkers. "jeep" murica...please....

Originally Posted By: earthbound
spot on....just like the Toyota tundra more American made then any domestic rivals, but try telling that to the Detroit cool aid drinkers. "jeep" murica...please....

Thanks. Almost all cars are "global cars" now. Unless the finances, R&D, part/material sourcing, and assembly is US based, it is really a global car. Most cars are global.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer to buy American if I can but I won't buy just because it is American "branded" (you know, George Washington driving around in a Canadian car). Realistically, unless I am buying a SC made BMW, GA made Kia (kinda close to me), ... most cars are "imported" in my economy. Detroit, Ulsan, Stugart, or "Toyota City" are outside my regional economy. Michigan is a "foreign" entity for some.
smile.gif

So everyone that drives a Jeep is a “Murica”. Yes for sure MAGA- and all others are far left liberals that need crying rooms because Hillary lost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedOak
So everyone that drives a Jeep is a “Murica”. Yes for sure MAGA- and all others are far left liberals that need crying rooms because Hillary lost.

not what I'm stating....I'm a maga supporter as well,and drive a Toyota. it's just funny how some have the belief or deception that "I drive a jeep therefore it's murica made".

I really like the Cherokee's redesign. I didn't mind the previous version, and looked at them in 2013 when I ended up getting the Grand Cherokee. My sister has a renegade with the 2.4 and 9-speed. She doesn't exactly baby or take care of her stuff, and it has 70k trouble free miles on it.

And to the American made thing... The Hemi in my previous Jeep was made in Mexico. My Nissan was built in the US, doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back