49 years ago today....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Not a lot of middle ground in either topic.

No, there certainly is not. The most humorous thing is how on the "hoax" side of some of these matters, even the deniers aren't on the same page.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
18 months old, and I remember a bit of it.

I remember my mother standing me in the loungeroom looking at the BandW TV, and telling me to look, as something very very important is going on.

I have confirmed in my later years that memory is legit and correct.

Interesting. I did the same with my son at the same age when Halley's Comet came around in the winter of 86.

That's a really early memory there mate.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
That's a really early memory there mate.

I've got a couple of them...18 months is about as far back as I can go...I drew the floor plan (in my 40s) and described the furnishings in various of the rooms...we moved out of that place by the time I was 4...but I got a bad burn at 18 months, and told my mother that I saw her "let me" get burned (I was fascinated with the solid fuel heater, and wouldn't respond to being told off...remember her walking into the room, seeing me about to go play, and step back behind the doorframe - she cried when I told her...burn wasn't supposed to be that bad (carried the scar to 45)...Chicken Pox party at 3 when we went to play with kids of a family that my parents disliked, and all the boys were in the dark, with headaches and spots).

I remember the dog that "we lost" when I was 2.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon.
I was an 11 y/o boy flying to Europe with my grandma (on PanAm Airlines) when the pilot announced that "The U.S. has just landed on the moon"....the whole plane clapped.
I remember a little while later, my (contrary) grandma complaining to the stewardess that her 'Daiquiri' didn't taste right....I was embarrassed....it's funny what you remember....

Yes, I remember it all so well and we need more of that in our country today, national efforts as a people to achieve the "impossible"
Its what made us great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: pbm
Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon.
I was an 11 y/o boy flying to Europe with my grandma (on PanAm Airlines) when the pilot announced that "The U.S. has just landed on the moon"....the whole plane clapped.
I remember a little while later, my (contrary) grandma complaining to the stewardess that her 'Daiquiri' didn't taste right....I was embarrassed....it's funny what you remember....

Yes, I remember it all so well and we need more of that in our country today, national efforts as a people to achieve the "impossible"
Its what made us great.

I agree. Space travel always left me in total awe. What ever happened to space travel?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What ever happened to space travel?

This book was one of my faves as a kid...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Will_Go_to_the_Moon_(book)

Then around 1976(ish) there was a book on the space shuttle, and what it was promising...10-12 years old, I was convinced that would make the book the truth.

Wasn't until I started cracking hydrogen and oxygen from water in school in the early 80s that I realised that wasn't going to happen for very many people.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What ever happened to space travel?

Money taken away from space related projects to waste on other "programs". Space travel is now "privatized". Early in my career I worked in the test lab where the moon buggy and Hubble telescope hardware was developed and tested in space chambers. I worked in that lab for 18 years because there was always something interesting going on related to space hardware, many one of a kind projects.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I was 6....remember it like yesterday. I guess all those pictures of today's moon surface that shows the actual spots where the Apollo's landed, the trek's they made and the equipment left there is fake as well? The reflecting mirror used by lasers on earth to accurately measure the moons distance is fake? I can't believe some still want to argue that whole thing. Someone mentioned JFK...funny....how many years later and there is still not one shred of credible evidence that a conspiracy existed to prove that Oswald was not the lone shooter?

We're the same age, and I well remember watching the moon stuff on our old B&W Philco TV in the living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back