New York kicks Charter/Spectrum out of the state

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess 86,000 new homes isn't 145,000.

Any knuckledragger anywhere has a solid political future if he succesfully fights cable companies and bank fees. This should be a thing.

I doubt this is the end. Both cable and phone companies bid for rural areas by census blocks to get state funding to install decent broadband. Fairpoint was there as was Charter. Both were bought or merged with others.

Someone somewhere marked my census block as (OK served). Meaning no state money. Under-served census blocks were able to get state money. But the maps had many errors. The people about 1/2 mile away with cable in front of their house were marked under-served. My house on a dirt road with and only 4 Mb DSL was marked (OK served).

I think competition will drive the rollout of broadband, not merger conditions.

I will move to DE with FIOS before its fixed up in NY.

Spectrum sucks. They took over Time Warner Cable--which was really good and cheap-- and somehow made the customer service worse and the actual service reliability even worse.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Spectrum sucks. They took over Time Warner Cable--which was really good and cheap-- and somehow made the customer service worse and the actual service reliability even worse.

While raising prices.

The cable companies and telcos don't want to build out unless there's a chance they'll get a solid customer base. The telcos would love to see copper die off and push people onto 4G/5G - it's cheaper to maintain wireless compared to copper plant(less/no pesky union labor since it can be outsourced, I know AT&T does have Ericsson service their cell sites).

AT&T's buyout of DirecTV allows them to start decommissioning U-Verse TV, but now they are pushing fiber.

Originally Posted By: nthach
The cable companies and telcos don't want to build out unless there's a chance they'll get a solid customer base. The telcos would love to see copper die off and push people onto 4G/5G - it's cheaper to maintain wireless compared to copper plant(less/no pesky union labor since it can be outsourced, I know AT&T does have Ericsson service their cell sites).

AT&T's buyout of DirecTV allows them to start decommissioning U-Verse TV, but now they are pushing fiber.

On copper phone lines we paid a few cents for "universal service" to bring phones to everyone.

Cable TV only goes where they feel like it, so we gave them huge bunches of money to go "everywhere" upon which they reneged and got caught, and actually punished.

This is big.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
So glad I have Cox, I think they're actually a decent carrier.

I have them as well and have been fairly happy with them. The 1TB/mo usage limit is pretty lame though, I was easily using 5-6TB a month before.

Quote:
Charter has 60 days to file a plan with the commission to transition its New York customers to other providers, the commission said. Charter can also appeal the commission's decision within 30 days.

I'm sure Charter will get right on that !

Originally Posted By: eljefino

On copper phone lines we paid a few cents for "universal service" to bring phones to everyone.

I think the Obama-era FCC(don't turn this political, please) gave AT&T and Verizon the green light to stop maintaining their copper at a "minimum service level" in 2014-2015, and this happened right about the time that AT&T was about to buy out DirecTV alongside deprecating U-Verse and Verizon announced that they won't build out FiOS anymore with more divestitures to Frontier. I know CenturyLink has also expanded in former Sprint/Qwest/Embarq areas and I think they bought out Level3.

AT&T and Verizon are still maintaining copper in major population areas - lots of businesses still use T1s for data and voice(and in security-sensitive applications, a T1/satellite link is pretty darn reliable), xDSL is still being sold(and AT&T U-Verse is fancy VDSL). But in rural areas, there isn't much of an financial incentive to keep copper working, even though it's already dodgy bringing in DSL to those areas since AT&T had to install remote terminals for that purpose. A friend lives near the Sierra Nevadas and Comcast won't build out to his house, AT&T can only offer 1.5-3Mbps ADSL to his house. And even cities have dark zones - the lawn bowling club I'm a member of even though it's 200ft from a main street can't get Comcast or AT&T U-Verse VDSL/Fiber. Just ADSL through the POTS.

Yeah, we live in an area where there is no open fiber and no DSL availability even though we are within spitting distance of two decent sized cities and two large ones.
The only real option is what now calls itself Spectrum and they've been raising rates aggressively.
I suggested that someone facing a large increase call them and tell them to either offer a better deal or they could disconnect them.
They did this and the CSR's reply was to ask when they'd like to have their service disconnected.
Data service really needs to be returned to the utility rate regulation model it should never have been allowed to escape.
The laissez faire approach has failed to yield either better and more widespread service or the lower service prices that were promised.

Charter has been good for me, I get 235Mbps down 15Mpbs up consistently with the basic $49.99 service. I think they compete harder here because Google Fiber is here and it's getting pretty widespread. Google was just about to turn up service in my old neighborhood, I had a box installed outside my house and fiber ran to it. But then we moved farther out, lolol.

Originally Posted By: nthach

I think the copper telco cable is worth more in scrap than it is providing service to their customers.

I'm not happy about this, tbh.

This leaves the door wide open for an even worse company, Comcast, to try and acquire TWC again. And it may succeed this time.

As a cable cutter that uses broadband to access content, my monthly internet usage is ~3TB/Month. Any company that is going to impose a data cap is going to be a big problem.

I've been mostly fine with Spectrum, aside from their policy to no longer play ball, which led me to cut TV services in the first place. But their data service has been stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back