20 Weight Users In GDI Engines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 KIA Optima was using full syn 5w-20 then switched over to 5w-30 seems to run quieter, considering 10w-30 during the summer months. Have always done 5,000 OCI

Originally Posted By: plf
2014 KIA Optima was using full syn 5w-20 then switched over to 5w-30 seems to run quieter, considering 10w-30 during the summer months. Have always done 5,000 OCI

It would run even quieter if you ran 15w40 in it.

I just changed the FF on my 2018 Chevy Cruze at 4300 mi to PP 0w-20. No consumption with either so far.

My scion ia which has a direct injection mazda mill, seen just about all 0w20 out there. Doesn't use any oil between changes just the fact the oil gets blacker and smells like fuel much sooner than my wife's corolla which is port injection and takes 0w20.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
My take is that prudent users in either NA or turbo GDI don't run extended OCIs to begin with...I've used both 5w-20 and 5w-30 in either QSUD or PP in my 1.6 NA GDI Hyundai with seemingly not much difference. No marked fuel dilution and no oil consumption over an average 5K OCI. I would hesitate to run either of those oils for 7500 miles under the guise of preventative maintenance.

Did you run a UOA to make that determination?

Yes, but they were a few years apart and showed
From my experience, I'm convinced that for this vehicle at least, there might not be much of difference between 5w-20 and 5w-30 if your OCI is short enough. That's not to say that others would experience the same thing...only that a shorter OCI would mitigate some of the problem.

I guess secondarily I would also question at what point is fuel dilution harmful as that might differ between applications. It's been mentioned on here before that the correlation seems to be a loose one in some ways and I don't doubt it would effect some engines differently. If I run 2% fuel in the oil versus less than 1% over the course of 150K miles of ownership will there be a wear difference if I change the oil with a non-extended OCI schedule??

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
My take is that prudent users in either NA or turbo GDI don't run extended OCIs to begin with...

Strongly agree with that!
01.gif

Originally Posted By: asb151
Has anyone actually done an oil analysis with GC to check for dilution?? Hello?

There are several members here who have that. What should be mentioned too is that while the fuel dilution percentage was high, the wear metals numbers were not out of line.

*Meant to say : 0W/5W 20 oils...
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
For those who have used 0W/5W 20W oils in GDI engines (non - turbo and broken in for sake of argument) - what have been your experiences ? ...Any issues with oil consumption , fuel dilution , etc. ?

I have a 2018 Santa Fe 2.0 Turbo. Dealer puts 5w20 SM in all Hyundais. Service writer or Tech had no clue manual says 5w30 minimum Classification A5. Hyundai parts department at dealer doesn’t even stock A5 oil. He tried to sell me Mitsubishi 0w20??anyone else had this problem with dealer using wrong oil in 2.0 Turbo?? Thank you.

Originally Posted By: ThumperRidgeline
I have a 2018 Santa Fe 2.0 Turbo. Dealer puts 5w20 SM in all Hyundais. Service writer or Tech had no clue manual says 5w30 minimum Classification A5. Hyundai parts department at dealer doesn’t even stock A5 oil. He tried to sell me Mitsubishi 0w20??anyone else had this problem with dealer using wrong oil in 2.0 Turbo?? Thank you.

Kia had so many dealers using 5W20 in 2.0L TGDI engines that they created a special TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) to show a 5W30 (min.) requirement. ACEA A5 oil was also specified.

Yikes, I wouldn't be comfortable with 20 weight and GDI in a turbo, can't believe dealer service would screw that one up.

What's SM by the way?

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Yikes, I wouldn't be comfortable with 20 weight and GDI in a turbo, can't believe dealer service would screw that one up.

What's SM by the way?

SM is an API spec, which has been replaced by SN and most recently SN PLUS.

oh ok thanks.

32.gif
I remember when I had my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon my dealership used Agip then Hyundai decided to promote Quaker State when I leased my 2008 Sonata. The counters and service area was filled with Valvoline paraphernalia though I never seen any empty containers ever indicating that Valvoline or QS being used in the service bays.

I do remember asking what oil was being used at that time and the service manager replied we buy what's the cheapest, I asked him do you use what's the cheapest in your personal vehicle? He said only if it's "covered under warranty" I asked him for that in writing never did get that statement in writing. Wonder what he meant maybe hoping for engine failure and warranty repairs.

Later on service writer tried to tell me he spoke with shop foreman and they use 5w30 in 2.0 Turbo..Pretty sure this was a C Y A since the kid changing the oil had no clue what weight oil he was using or whether he had a Turbo or non turbo under the hood. I went and looked at the bulk drums they pump the oil from and sticker said: INTREPID 5w20..none of them said 5w30...Is not someone from Hyundai Corporate Zone office checking what these dealers are using? especially if any engine failures from wrong oil would be covered under warranty.

Originally Posted By: ThumperRidgeline
... I went and looked at the bulk drums they pump the oil from and sticker said: INTREPID 5w20..none of them said 5w30...Is not someone from Hyundai Corporate Zone office checking what these dealers are using? especially if any engine failures from wrong oil would be covered under warranty.

No! Corporate is busy doing finances i.e. $

many years ago I knew a guy in a Toyota dealership (one of the worst local dealers in my area) he said most the time they only have synthetic blend 5Wx30 because they run out of 5Wx20 VERY quickly and they don't order much! He wasn't a oil guy but said don't worry either one will be fine in any car. lol
It didn't bitog "blew up" customer's engines so he was right!
grin2.gif

I am sure (hoping) not all dealers are like that. This dealer was really bad. I already knew they were crooks long before he told me this.I

Edit:
They run out of 5Wx20 quickly ...
I don't recall him talking about 0Wx20 at all.
I was complaining that twice i had asked for 10Wx30 and both times I got 5wx30 ... and he told me the above story.

Last edited:
that intrepid drum is from "Best Line Oil co inc"

**Best Line Oil Company is proud to offer the quality brands of Shell, Total and Phillips 66**

interesting that Hyundai recommends Quaker State which Shell is parent and Kia recommends Total.

I think Phillips 66 makes Motorcraft and Honda oil.

Total being a French company.

that Excelsior oil is a syn blend - no 0w-20 and I don't see any dexos ratings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back