Engine lite on...in dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
For those of you who have had this happen.....my question is ??? WHAT IS THE MOST COMMON REPAIR WHEN THIS LIGHT APPEARS.

Piece of tape over the light.

ignoring it until you have a chance to go to oreilly or autozone and have the code read and go from there...

Else is just a lite. so Drink Bud Light.

All joking aside I dont see where this question is going.

you trying to stir up some random useless discussion or what?

At least it's the light that is in the dashboard and not the check engine light that is in the door or elsewhere--I hate it when that one comes on.

In my Toyota's the light comes on when the planets are aligned just right. In my prior VW it would only be on when the day ended in "y". Couldn't tell you why it was on, I just ignored the light.

Originally Posted By: supton
At least it's the light that is in the dashboard and not the check engine light that is in the door or elsewhere--I hate it when that one comes on.

In my Toyota's the light comes on when the planets are aligned just right. In my prior VW it would only be on when the day ended in "y". Couldn't tell you why it was on, I just ignored the light.

LOL!

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Gas cap or O2 sensor.

+1. I've experienced both. Can't recall what code came up in the caravan for the gas cap. In the sienna P0420 would come up every few weeks. A cheap aftermarket cat fixed that.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Gas cap or O2 sensor.

+1. I've experienced both. Can't recall what code came up in the caravan for the gas cap. In the sienna P0420 would come up every few weeks. A cheap aftermarket cat fixed that.

What's weird is that my '99 Camry had a dead O2 sensor that I only figured out when I decided to use Torq to watch O2 signals. I thought mpg was a bit low, so what the heck, let's see what the sensors are doing. Huh, why is the rear O2 flatlined? Read zero volts while the front one was fine. Looked up what to get, went on Amazon, ordered a sensor. Took a few days to come in, then had to wait for the weekend. Probably a couple hundred miles and several starts before I changed the sensor, and who knows when it had died. Never set a CEL. I should try leaving the gas cap off and see what it does.

I did have a vacuum valve switch of some sort (EGR related, common issue on this Camry) that threw a code. Pain to get to. Pulled it off, rapped it on the fender, gave it a good talking to and reinstalled. It's behaved ever since.

Most common reason, in my experience, is a bad catalytic convertor. This will result in a light that comes and goes every few drives.

Loose gas cap is the easiest, cheapest fix, but it's never the loose gas cap for me. Because I always tighten it until it clicks, doesn't everyone?

I have also had codes for misfires, evap valve, and oxygen sensors.

If you go to Autozone they will read the code for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back