Honda mowers can't be pulled backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda self propelled mowers have an inherent design problem, they can't be pulled backwards. This is Honda mowers, not Honda engines. If you release the self propelled lever, paddles, so the mower is not moving forward, you can't pull it backwards. If the engine is not running, you can still not pull it backwards. This makes it difficult to maneuver in small areas, under bushes, pulling it out of a shed, garage. And since Honda mowers are rear wheel drive, you can't lean back on the rear wheels, lifting the front wheels off the ground, to pull it backward.The

However, I love Honda engines! They are very smooth running, maybe because of the dozen or so holes in the fuel jet tube.

Some designs, you have to release the self propelled lever and push if forward a bit to disengage the drive wheels before pulling it backwards.

I literally just purchased a brand new Honda self propelled mower today, and your statement is in fact false. I had no issues pulling it backwards, and yes the wheels rolled freely. This may be true of older models? I’m not sure. But I can confirm at least for current models this is a non issue.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
Honda self propelled mowers have an inherent design problem, they can't be pulled backwards. This is Honda mowers, not Honda engines. If you release the self propelled lever, paddles, so the mower is not moving forward, you can't pull it backwards. If the engine is not running, you can still not pull it backwards. This makes it difficult to maneuver in small areas, under bushes, pulling it out of a shed, garage. And since Honda mowers are rear wheel drive, you can't lean back on the rear wheels, lifting the front wheels off the ground, to pull it backward.The

However, I love Honda engines! They are very smooth running, maybe because of the dozen or so holes in the fuel jet tube.

Had a Honda mower and pulled back without any problem with or without engine running

There are many stupid design mistakes in the world but this would be a doozie. Something is wrong with your machine.

Adjust the drive cable, or the rear wheels need to come off. Take off the rear wheels, and clean the gunk out, and then use fresh grease to grease it back up. It will roll like a new one should. Just don't put it together backwards. Snap ring pliers will make it easy to do if you have them.

You didn't buy a front wheel drive push mower, for a lawn with dead-ends?

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Y’all are fancy lazy with your self propelled machines. I

ftfy
wink.gif

Honda self propelled mowers have an inherent design problem, they can't be pulled backwards.

Why do people make such silly - and wrong - statements ?

I have a Honda mower myself and can assure you 100% that you are wrong.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Stupid post of the year goes to....

Take the 15 seconds to adjust your drive cable and come back.

Yup, the OP is wrong. A troll?

5 years of pulling from under bushes with no problem...with it running or not running.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Or just lift the back of mower so wheels are off the ground and drag it backwards on just the front wheels.

You do that ? Sounds like something you thought up but haven't ever done.

Two years ago I bought my honda self propelled.

There was one of their cheaper models that had reviews stating just this. (forgot which one)

I don't think its inherent to their entire lineup.

I own a HRX217VKA and it does not do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back