Leather treatment and frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Well it looks like Woolite @ 10:1 ratio with distilled water is a good coated leather cleaning option followed by a warm water microfiber towel followed by a safe protectant (if I can find one safe for coated leather seats found in non - luxury or high end vehicles) .

**Good protectant after cleaning ??

FWIW, This is what I use at my shop for all coated leather. Very safe and highly effective from a company that specializes in....leather.
https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Masters-Protection-Cream/dp/B004W417F2

Pricey stuff, at least up here, but at over $18 dollars just to ship, is it any wonder?
https://www.amazon.ca/Leather-Masters-Protection-Cream-1-Liter/dp/B004W417F2

After majority of positive reviews at Amazon and elsewhere - I decided to buy try Mother's VLR as just about all the local auto parts stores carry it ... We shall see .

P.S. Quickly gave up the search on additional outlets for : "Leather Masters" after I ended up in the dark web !

After majority of positive reviews at Amazon and elsewhere - I decided to buy try Mother's VLR as just about all the local auto parts stores carry it ... We shall see .

P.S. Quickly gave up the search on additional outlets for : "Leather Masters" after I ended up in the dark web !

crackmeup2.gif

Whats the best thing to do to a 10-12 yr old car with some cracking on the leather seats?

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Whats the best thing to do to a 10-12 yr old car with some cracking on the leather seats?

Check out Pacards leather website.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: loneryder

Check out Pacards leather website.

Here is the reply I received:
Sorry for the slow response to your inquiry, please accept my apologies. The product we most often recommend for auto interior leather is our Pecard Classic Leather Lotion. This is a water based product that is safe for use on all colors of leather including white. Water is the carrying agent for the remaining formula. Prior to application use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe down the leather to remove any light surface dirt. Apply the lotion using a small section of soft lint free cloth in an even application, allow 10 minutes or so for the lotion to dry. You can either apply another treatment in the same manner or using a dry soft lint free cloth buff the leather surface. Being a convertible I would suggest follow up treatments be reapplied every other month or as needed.

Best regards,

Phil Wadzinski
Pecard Leather Care Co., Inc.

I just made up 20 oz. of Woolite and distilled water in a sprayer at a 10:1 water versus Woolite ratio and a dry microfiber towel . It worked well although I think I would use a damp microfiber cloth afterwards just to ensure I get off any residue of soap that may be left behind .

I just made up 20 oz. of Woolite and distilled water in a sprayer at a 10:1 water versus Woolite ratio and a dry microfiber towel . It worked well although I think I would use a damp microfiber cloth afterwards just to ensure I get off any residue of soap that may be left behind .

Sounds great.

FWIW: I've recently switched to the Chemical Guys two bottle system of Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner combo kit w/horsehair cleaning brush. Haven't tried it yet but will sometime this fall. Found it on Amazon, Chemical Guys website and at my local Walmart (all same price at $9.99/bottle for 16oz).

Interested to see how this combo will do. I have two cars, one with black leather and one with tan - both in good condition but need cleaning/conditioning/protecting. Both are garage kept but one sits out all day in the sun at work.

I have three other brands that I've used with decent results but the tan leather still gets "bluejeans dye" on them over time.

Anybody here like it?

Last edited:
I haven't read all of the posts but here's the deal regarding automotive leather.

Approx 95% of all automotive leather is top-coated with a urethane. So you should not use any products which have oils/fats for "conditioning".

My routine.

Vacuum seats whenever I do carpeting.
Monthly: spray down with distilled water and wipe using MF towel.

Every 3 months I'll add dress the seats with Optimum Leather(Vinyl) Protectant.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I haven't read all of the posts but here's the deal regarding automotive leather.

Approx 95% of all automotive leather is top-coated with a urethane. So you should not use any products which have oils/fats for "conditioning".

My routine.

*Would add using 10 parts distilled water to 1 part Woolite (mentioned in this forum) works well for monthly cleaning - effective and safe , then dress the seats with a good leather / vinyl protectant every few months .

I just started using Meguiars Gold Class 3in1 leather spray. My Subaru seats are ivory colored leather. The Meguiars cleans really nice, and has a very mild and pleasant aroma. I plan to use it every other month.

Originally Posted by Voleak
I just started using Meguiars Gold Class 3in1 leather spray. My Subaru seats are ivory colored leather. The Meguiars cleans really nice, and has a very mild and pleasant aroma. I plan to use it every other month.

Ditto.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

My routine.

Thanks for such great tip! I'll try following this to maintain my leather car seat cover.

Castor oil is a thing! I and leather boots greased them and a leather coat. Perfectly softens the leather, makes it water-repellent. But the first property is more important. If she was on the sly, then lost moisture (overdried) during storage. Therefore, if you immediately wear and wear, then cracked instantly.https://leather-toolkits.com/reviews/best-oil-for-leather/. There are a couple of ways to care for leather shoes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back