Throttle Cables and Penetro90

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Toward late summer the lawn tractor, Sears with 15 Hp B&S, started lacking power. Didn't pay too much attention to it until I hit high grass about a week after getting about 6" inches of rain.

Well, I figured that since it had set for over 6 weeks with no running, the fuel might have become stale; you know, 105 F, maybe evaporation, etc, etc.

Put new fuel in tank and added some Neutra just in case the carb had become varnished.

No luck. Almost seemed as if the governor wasn't working, so while I was mowing grass I reached down and gave the governor a shove and it was working, engine sped up with manual intervention.

So after another frustrating two rows, I took it into the garage for a look see. What I found was that the throttle cable had slipped toward the slower throttle position. The clamp and screw that hold the throttle cable was tight and had not loosened.

The I realized that the throttle cable position changed because once a month I sprayed the whole area with a shot of Penetro90 to keep things clean and moving.

The Penetro90 had worked into the area between the clamp and the throttle cable sheath, creeping ever so slowly toward the lower speed position. I sprayed (with brake cleaner) the area, put a shim in between the cable and clamp, readjusted the cable position for max rpm (to spec), and everthing now works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back