Your favorite motor flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on now, y'all. Let's share good info from what we've learned. In the past couple months for sure there have been some good discussions from JAG, SonOfJoe, and MolaKule has chimed in too from what I remember on this topic. There are only two ways to really "flush" an engine/clean out accumulated crud. One is to use some kind of solvent (i.e. Kreen or Kerosene), or to use an extremely polar oil (i.e. Valvoline Restore) that is specifically designed to chemically remove carbon and deposits because it attracts the bad stuff back into suspension more strongly than the internal surfaces of the engine does so it can then be caught by the filter. This type of oil is generally significantly more expensive than regular motor oils, and was specifically designed by Cummins & Valvoline because even $72/gallon oil is cheaper than re-ringing or rebuilding a diesel engine.

It's been discussed over and over by some of the tribologists (SonOfJoe for sure) on this awesome board that the detergents in a normal oil do not work like the detergents you dump in your washing machine, so they DO NOT perform some magical scrubbing of your engine's innards like some others like to claim. HDEOs, PYB, etc. can only perform the function of stirring up some of the accumulated particulates on the surface to be captured by the oil filter; it will not de-varnish, nor de-sludge, nor work miracles on an engine that has been neglected for a long period of time. It has also been pointed out (I believe by Shannow) that Group I/II oils are typically much more polar than synthetic oils (Group III+) and that there was a marked increase in deposits in his turbines when the oils used switched from the lower group oils to more heavily refined, less polar oils.

Now, to return to value-added questions, OP, why do you think you need to flush your engine? Has removal of the valvecover or oil pan revealed particulate deposits? Or is there just some varnish through the oil fill hole that you wish to remove? If it is the former, you may need to pursue one of the solutions in the first paragraph. Trav had a great thread on Kreen that should answer any of your questions about it. If it is just varnish, generally there is no detriment to some light surface varnish, so save your money and just change your oil at sensible intervals. HTH!

I use Amsoil engine and tranny flush with every oil change. I’m going to try Kreen.

Interesting read above.

I would rather something soak in the engine overnight than run if 15 mins in the engine if that's what you're getting at.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Not looking to debate the merits or potential "dangers" of the chemical motor flush, but out of curiosity, what is your favorite and why? 5 minute motor flush? Kerosene? Kreen? Liqui-moly? ATF? Diesel?

There are big differences in price point and availability between all of these, so wondering why you may prefer one over another?

Were I to do a flush it would be with Amsoil flush.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Come on now, y'all. Let's share good info from what we've learned. In the past couple months for sure there have been some good discussions from JAG, SonOfJoe, and MolaKule has chimed in too from what I remember on this topic. There are only two ways to really "flush" an engine/clean out accumulated crud. One is to use some kind of solvent (i.e. Kreen or Kerosene), or to use an extremely polar oil (i.e. Valvoline Restore) that is specifically designed to chemically remove carbon and deposits because it attracts the bad stuff back into suspension more strongly than the internal surfaces of the engine does so it can then be caught by the filter. This type of oil is generally significantly more expensive than regular motor oils, and was specifically designed by Cummins & Valvoline because even $72/gallon oil is cheaper than re-ringing or rebuilding a diesel engine.

It's been discussed over and over by some of the tribologists (SonOfJoe for sure) on this awesome board that the detergents in a normal oil do not work like the detergents you dump in your washing machine, so they DO NOT perform some magical scrubbing of your engine's innards like some others like to claim. HDEOs, PYB, etc. can only perform the function of stirring up some of the accumulated particulates on the surface to be captured by the oil filter; it will not de-varnish, nor de-sludge, nor work miracles on an engine that has been neglected for a long period of time. It has also been pointed out (I believe by Shannow) that Group I/II oils are typically much more polar than synthetic oils (Group III+) and that there was a marked increase in deposits in his turbines when the oils used switched from the lower group oils to more heavily refined, less polar oils.

Thanks for the thorough post Subie. I appreciate the constructive input! I will try and find those threads you mentioned.

All engines develop varnish if you drive them long enough even for those of us who change the oil religiously. Some engines are prone to sludging by the nature of their design. Keeping those things in mind, and a fan of the idea of motor flushes myself, I was just wondering what your favorite was and why?

Originally Posted By: Gixxer46
I use Amsoil engine and tranny flush with every oil change. I’m going to try Kreen.

Interesting read above.

I have heard people say good things about Kreen as well. What is it about Kreen that sets it apart from the competition?
confused.gif

When the Borman 6 hit 300Kmiles, I removed the valve cover for the first time. 150kmiles of cheap dino 20w50 changed every 3kmiles. The valve train had a coat of harmless varnish. In the right rear corner was maybe a 1/4 cup of sludge. I set the valves and buttoned it back up. A far cry from the Chevy 235s I cleaned sludge out of with a putty knife and a bucket, while the draft pipe was being burnt out to clean it. Oil is so much better now. Keep it topped off and change it once in a while. I have only used MMO in the oil to thin for winter temps. 20w50 doesn't like single number temps F. If I had a lifter tick that wasn't loose lash, I may try some flush. Save your worrying for important stuff.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: irad
4 ounces of kerosene, run for 100 miles, and then an oil change. I do this every 30,0000 miles on a 1.8t Passat.

How do you dispose off this oil then? I usually hand it over to AutoZone guys and every time they ask if I have mixed anything to the oil. I assume, if I say yes, they won't take it. So I have not mixed anything yet, except once I added MMO, but I told them and they were fine with that. Not sure abt Kerosene, hence the question.

I would never put any sort of motor flush or cleaning additive in any of my vehicles. A few extra-short oil change intervals with the cheapest possible oil sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
Originally Posted By: irad
4 ounces of kerosene, run for 100 miles, and then an oil change. I do this every 30,0000 miles on a 1.8t Passat.

How do you dispose off this oil then? I usually hand it over to AutoZone guys and every time they ask if I have mixed anything to the oil. I assume, if I say yes, they won't take it. So I have not mixed anything yet, except once I added MMO, but I told them and they were fine with that. Not sure abt Kerosene, hence the question.

Kero/diesel = fuel oil. I wonder what portion of a full waste oil tank is fuel? Dealerships must have quite a bit of fuel diluted in their waste oil tanks from servicing new, DI cars.

I'm sure they would love any type of solvent that would not damage their equipment. I assume it would help thin the oil a little bit and clean out the sludge.

If you used kerosene as an engine flush and then gave it to someone who had a waste oil heater, I am sure they would be pleased.

I've used a solvent flush, but only once, and when the engine was going to be coming apart anyhow, so the risk was minimised. That was the old F-150, when it needed to be rebuilt as it was.

OP, I prefer Kreen. Trav’s thread on it convinced me for troubled engines. That, coupled with the fact that Kano Labs offers a no-questions-asked refund if you are not pleased with the results kinda seals the deal. So, if you have an engine condition that requires a solvent-based additive, IMHO there is not a better option. It’s been thoroughly tested and given thumbs up by several board members and doesn’t cost you anything if it doesn’t please you with the results... what’s the downside?

Quart of MMO in crankcase 100-300 miles before the oil change.

For especially dirty engines that don't normally consume oil - substitute a quart of oil for a quart of MMO and check the level often and top off with more MMO for 3k-4k OCI, as MMO burns off easier than motor oil. If engine consumes oil before MMO, then it gets "Delo 5w40 XSP" and MMO with MMO being the top-off throughout the short 3k OCI.

None if there is no problem that would require it. For legitimately stuck rings and verified by a leak down test I do a 15-20 min idle only with Chemtool followed by a dose of Kreen for 1K the retest.
If its showing real improvement not just a few psi I repeat in 3K.

For real sludge take the pan off or another procedure that lays the car up a few days and cant be started.

Observe a reasonable OCI. Err on the low side. You'll never need to use anything. I used to drop#3 exhaust valve on bug engines fairly often. Damage usually totalled the engine. But never any sludge. Anything really gunky wound up in the screen There nevr was anything there

LC20. You can do a 'flush' level dose of 1-2oz per quart in your sump 500ish miles prior to your next change. Else just slowly dissolve deposits over time adding 1oz to your engine every 1000 miles. For me the product pays for itself through the slight MPG bump and peace of mind.

1oz every 1000 miles cleaned up and smoothed out both the 2gr and 4gr toyota engines [I didn't want to do a fast flush]. Both had less than 100,000 miles when I got them, both had been changed at the dealer with 5w30 toyota dino every 5000 miles. Both ran rough so I read and learned about how direct injection can lead to carbon buildup. But hey, I guess if I just kept changing at the factory interval with a quality conventional oil it would have cleaned itself out? ./rolleyes .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back