Honda Dealership done messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first Camry SE wouldn't pass emissions. A CPO. I don't really know what the exact trouble was. They had the car for a week while we had a loaner. Car is fixed with a good inspection sticker. There was a bill for parts and labor of 1500$, customer cost zero. Judging from parts, the head was replaced along with some other parts. I never got a straight answer on the exact problem. The car ran great, right up to the second it was T-boned by a lady running a stop sign. We went on to buy 2 CPO Camrys but neither of them from that dealership.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
To OP:
Why don't you talk to the manager and find out in detail what happened?
Any repairs should have a very good warranty.
They need to make it right and stop trying to hide their mistake.
I would not trust anything they say from now on.
Take pictures before they finish. Document everything.
Good luck

+1000

Don't wait and hope things will be done. If the car sits outside with no cover on the open engine now, it will sit like that guaranteed.
Find out NOW from the manager what exactly happened, how it happened, what are they doing to fix it, why weren't the owner informed of the additional work needed, ask for an extended warranty and I wold do an independent inspection by another Honda dealer.

Was anything "lost in translation" when the dealership talked with your mother? (And why was she in the loop anyways if its your vehicle?) Only loophole I can see in the story that maybe they tried to tell you what was going on, it just hit the wrong ears.

If not, then time to talk with the service or dealership manager. Best route for them would have been to just come out and say what happened and how it would be taken care of. Mistakes happen. Its how it gets resolved that matters.

Had a dealership drop a family members sports car off the lift totaling it.... And they wonder why people teach themselves to do their own maintenance.

Take a look around the lot. See anything that has a good rebate on it??? Trade it in. When the salesman asks you where you car is.......go show him, and assure him it will be "just like new" because his service dept is fixing it. See what his face does.

Dealership will repair engine.

Any further problems afterwards they will want OP to pay. Hopefully those bozos can repair without any issues down the road (no pun intended) and out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Take a look around the lot. See anything that has a good rebate on it??? Trade it in. When the salesman asks you where you car is.......go show him, and assure him it will be "just like new" because his service dept is fixing it. See what his face does.

That's actually a really good idea.

Wiring the timing chain in place while doing top end work is a common practice. It saves having to mess with the oil pan/timing cover junction. The Haynes manual for my Datsun truck showed how to use wedges for the situation. It worked. Messing it up would cause "timing problems"

Good ideas. Get a price on a trade in and see if they start about it being fixed as a negotiation point. I had a Ford, a Dodge, and a Toyota repaired under warranty for major issues. None did a good job, it just is not the factory. It's the guy they hired, which may be good or bad. The machine shop if they do the valves, are they going to do the several angles and sizing like is done on machines costing many hundreds of thousands at the factory?

Originally Posted By: andyd
Wiring the timing chain in place while doing top end work is a common practice. It saves having to mess with the oil pan/timing cover junction. The Haynes manual for my Datsun truck showed how to use wedges for the situation. It worked. Messing it up would cause "timing problems"

Yeah the stupid tensioner would fall right into the oil pan - what a pain! I still have my hardwood wedge, given to me by a Nissan tech in his 60's while I was in my teens.

If it's a modern Honda, that dealer needs to pay up for a new head - the Japanese say some light overhauling can be done - but you can't machine the head. You can replace the valve guides/seals and valves but many machine shops don't work on newer import stuff.

Absolutely, I've done it myself before. I just was questioning the way he said he found it with the hood closed. The way it was described he opened the hood to find it bungee corded to the hood. There's a problem with that.

Be glad that the engine blew up immediately instead of doing it after driving for 3 miles towards home. The dealer would have told you that engine blowing up had nothing to do with the previous work.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Absolutely, I've done it myself before. I just was questioning the way he said he found it with the hood closed. The way it was described he opened the hood to find it bungee corded to the hood. There's a problem with that.
The way I found it the chain was bungeed corded to the hood prop hole. With the hood shut and no tarps/covers.

Well, in order not to screw it up this time, what ever it needs to R+R the chain correctly will have to be taken care of. How is the loaner doing?

How is the loaner doing?
She didn't want it. She didn't want to take responsibility for it.

Man, that sucks... I cringe everytime my son starts his 2012 CRV every morning, but at least it is still running.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Trade it in. When the salesman asks you where you car is.......go show him, and assure him it will be "just like new" because his service dept is fixing it. See what his face does.

I suspect his/her reaction will be more along the lines of a shoulder shrug ... they don't care. Your trade-in isn't the salesperson's concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back