Nano Particle Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sportscaster described an "after touchdown dance" done by an NFL football player with the words "...he's dancing a jig".

He was fired because the player was African-American.

I'd bet the name will be changed if the product is ever offered for sale in the USA.

Works fine for bathroom fixtures
laugh.gif

I've been looking for Jig-a-loo because a tradesman used it to lubricate our overhead door and it did a good job.

But I'm very wary of nano-particles. They sometimes have quite a different toxicity from the substance they're made from, so that familiar and known to be safe substances can suddenly become toxic. One issue is the massive increase in surface area for very small particles. Because of their size, they also have the potential to enter the body through unusual routes and even enter the bloodstream. And for those who care about the environment they're a major threat.

So there'll be no Jig-a-loo on my lubricants shelf, at least not while they contain nano-particles.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I've been looking for Jig-a-loo because a tradesman used it to lubricate our overhead door and it did a good job.

But I'm very wary of nano-particles. They sometimes have quite a different toxicity from the substance they're made from, so that familiar and known to be safe substances can suddenly become toxic. One issue is the massive increase in surface area for very small particles. Because of their size, they also have the potential to enter the body through unusual routes and even enter the bloodstream. And for those who care about the environment they're a major threat.

So there'll be no Jig-a-loo on my lubricants shelf, at least not while they contain nano-particles.

They also make a dedicated overhead door product. Canadian tire has it.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: 4WD
How much did it sell for?

About $6 US equivalent.

Probably a good vehicle door lube … last a while in that application

Jig-a-loo is available in the USA.
I have a spray can (the usual orange label, not the nano)and it’s very good for the mentioned uses.

Originally Posted By: old1
I notice that on the can it calls them micro particles. Is that the same or different than nano particles?

They say NANO in big letters and then microparticles. Hard to say which it is.

I suppose nanoparticles are also microparticles. But microparticles aren't necessarily nanoparticles.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
They also make a dedicated overhead door product. Canadian tire has it.

And there's no mention of nano particles. I'll check that out at a Canadian Tire next time I'm there. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure what any of their products are for really, I don't really trust them. Nano/micro on the can means that some marketing tomfoolery is going on. Spray graphite lube with boron instead?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
"Micro" and "Nano" mean very different things.

Yes, a nano particle is 1,000 times smaller than a micro particle, so I'm guessing the word Nano on the can is just an advertising expression and the particles are in the micro range.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Boy, that is awfully close to a nasty racist term my dad liked to use!!! One letter off!

Same here. Surprised they would use that name in this day and age. Way too close to a derogatory term.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Boy, that is awfully close to a nasty racist term my dad liked to use!!! One letter off!

Same here. Surprised they would use that name in this day and age. Way too close to a derogatory term.

Sorry guys, Jigaloo in the urban dictionary is a “back up singer in a rap team” Also there is a endless number of words that become offensive if you change one letter. Don’t be a nagger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back