2014 Jeep 3.2L Pentastar, PP 5W20 7600 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another OCI done. I ended this one early with 14% left on the OLM due to lots of dusty and offroad early this year.

Everything's in the clear, and my oil consumption has FINALLY reduced from 1.5 qts to 0.5 qts it really did take 30k for my rings to seat, I guess...

everything today is done for MPG's, low tension rings + thinner oils that prolly delay ring seal. girlfriends new in 13 malibu 2.5 was using 5-20, a qt in a thou, enter 10-30 a qt between yearly changes!!! once the warranty is gone manufactures care less when your engine dies or how much oil it uses, + DI can make it worse with higher compression, think oil spray on the back of your valves!!!

Good report - thanks for posting. Some will argue, but I still think rings break in better/faster on dino or blend. I switch over after 25,000 miles.

Nice report. I'm VWB in mine (with Formula shell on the shelf for the next changes), 15k miles and it hasn't used a drop of oil between changes.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Nice report. I'm VWB in mine (with Formula shell on the shelf for the next changes), 15k miles and it hasn't used a drop of oil between changes.

Which oil is VWB?

Originally Posted By: fusseli
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

Which oil is VWB?

Valvoline white bottle I'm guessing.

Did you notice any change with the aftermarket air filter, silicone still appears to be controlled well with it according to the UOA. Been running the PP as well due to $2.99 a quart after rebate and sale pricing.

Unfortunately I don't have any UOAs from when I was using the OE paper filter. I asked Blackstone on my last UOA, which is probably why they mentioned it again this time, but they said silicone is healthily low and controlled. This is impressive to me, after offroading in Moab this spring I knocked a layer of fine dust off the filter-- which it is clearly keeping out of the engine
cheers3.gif
My two UOAs above are proof that the washable dry media filters don't let anything through as some people continue to believe.

And same here, the mail in rebate on the PP is too good of a deal. I would run pennzoil ultra but all I have off the shelf nearby is platinum, so I just run that.

I did switch to a Fram XG for this next OCI, we will see how it compares to the last two with the Mopar AB.

Last edited:
Another one for the records, previous two oil changes were both PP 5w20 and Mopar AB oil filter, and AFE drop-in dry media air filter. This present analysis is from switching to a full AFE CAI dry media, and a Fram XG filter, and again PP 5w20. Notice how there's no increase in filterable particles or dirt in the oil, and how my numbers are lower than the universal averages or comparable.... OLM was at 9%. I've given up on my oil consumption and have decided 1qt of consumption is normal at 7k miles on my engine. Blackstone doesn't seem worried.

Moly concentration in regular PP seems to be about half that of PP High Mileage...Blackstone showed 156 PPM in my PP HM 5W-30 sample from March.

edit: checked PQIA and this seems to be the case across the board with their testing of PP...moly < 100 PPM.

Last edited:
Interesting you mention that, instead of PP I put in PP HM this time in its place. Wild hair I guess, and I'm wondering if it will have any effect on my oil burning.

Another one for the records, previous two oil changes were both PP 5w20 and Mopar AB oil filter, and AFE drop-in dry media air filter. This present analysis is from switching to a full AFE CAI dry media, and a Fram XG filter, and again PP 5w20. Notice how there's no increase in filterable particles or dirt in the oil, and how my numbers are lower than the universal averages or comparable.... OLM was at 9%. I've given up on my oil consumption and have decided 1qt of consumption is normal at 7k miles on my engine. Blackstone doesn't seem worried.

Can most of you imagine if this was an M1 run … ? And did you notice the poor guy with single digit iron M1 post go by all crickets … I’m not saying I’m a big UOA fan … but the hypocrisy of a half dozen here ruins the site …
Not a terrible run BTW …

What if it was an M1 run? Not sure what you mean

He means that everyone would be freaking out over the iron readings which appear quite high on a PPM/1000mi basis. Do you know if this particular engine has a reputation for shedding iron? It appears it might based on the universal averages.

Interesting you mention that, instead of PP I put in PP HM this time in its place. Wild hair I guess, and I'm wondering if it will have any effect on my oil burning.

Can't wait to see the oil analysis data with PP HM versus regular PP.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Can most of you imagine if this was an M1 run … ? And did you notice the poor guy with single digit iron M1 post go by all crickets … I’m not saying I’m a big UOA fan … but the hypocrisy of a half dozen here ruins the site …
Not a terrible run BTW …

I am quite surprised by this as well but like Duckryder mentions below, I am sure this engine, and the fact that a litre and and half had to be added between the OC, there is something up with this/these engines?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What if it was an M1 run? Not sure what you mean

He means that everyone would be freaking out over the iron readings which appear quite high on a PPM/1000mi basis. Do you know if this particular engine has a reputation for shedding iron? It appears it might based on the universal averages.

Don't know much about it. I think the 3.2 is supposed to be a 3.6 but with cylinder sleeves. I don't know how much is the same or if that's the only difference.

After some research, it looks like double digit iron and copper is normal in a Pentastar with 5-8k mile OCI. ALso, there are very similar numbers in the universal averages from Blackstone on my make/model compared to other Jeeps with the 3.6L.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back