Mobil 1 0W/20 AP, 10431 Miles, 05 Civic 1.7 w TAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil remains in service:

Prior sample: Mobil 1 0W/20 AP, 7634 Miles, 2005 Civic 1.7 w PC Please review.

05_CIVIC_VP_182643.jpg

05_CIVIC_VP_182643_ALS1.jpg

Keep going, oil is sutiable for continued use. When will the next sample be taken?

What were the oils that were used prior during the 8,948 and 4,989?

Originally Posted By: khittner
Why pay for multiple UOAs on 4 quarts of oil?

Helpful to nail down the proper interval. Also BITOG.

Having them done by two different companies adds to veracity of data.

I think this oil is shot. High TAN and started sludging up.

OP, aren’t you worried 0.75 had to be added as opposed to 0 during prior intervals?

Last edited:
Hi Buster.

The 4989 report was a 5/30 installed by a GM dealer. It was billed as “Dexos 1” it is probably AC Delco or Mobil Special I think.

Report here: Mobil 1 5W/30 ??, 4989 Miles, 2005 Civic 1.7

The 8948 report was 5/30 M1 EP.

Report here: Mobil 1 5W/30 EP, 8948 Miles, 2005 Civic 1.7

Next report on the AP is likely 15,000 miles and it will be over a year old. Question is If I change it then or keep going, which I have not decided.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
I think this oil shot. High TAN and started sludging up.

OP, aren’t you worried 0.75 had to be added as opposed to 0 during prior intervals?

Discussed extensively on the prior thread.

I’m not really worried about the make up because a good portion of it is due to sampling ALS bottles are actually a little larger than Blackstone. Finding out the exact measures is on my list of things to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Hi Buster.

The 4989 report was a 5/30 installed by a GM dealer. It was billed as “Dexos 1” it is probably AC Delco or Mobil Special I think.

Next report on the AP is likely 15,000 miles and it will be over a year old. Question is If I change it then or keep going, which I have not decided.

I’m not really worried about the make up because a good portion of it is due to sampling ALS bottles are actually a little larger than Blackstone. Finding out the exact measures is on my list of things to do.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Hi Buster.

cheers3.gif

Based on recent info … both M1 AP & EP in 0w20 had majority PAO and the same amounts … I’m buying EP for $25/jug and run to OLM around 7k … once out of warranty … will look at Tigs program at 10k on EP … no UOA needed …

I wonder if the capacity of the sump is something Mobil considered when they marketed this AP oil? There is quite a difference between a 4 quart and a 6 quart or bigger crankcase.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: buster
Hi Buster.

cheers3.gif

Based on recent info … both M1 AP & EP in 0w20 had majority PAO and the same amounts … I’m buying EP for $25/jug and run to OLM around 7k … once out of warranty … will look at Tigs program at 10k on EP … no UOA needed …

EP 0w20 was about 70% PAO per MSDS, and AFE was around 30%. Base oil composition percentages are hard to really know. Both AFE/EP 0w20 are excellent oils.

AP is a more robust oil than both EP/AFE, but in what specific only XOM knows. Likely anti oxidants/oxidation resistance. They also clam unsurpassed wear control based in the SEQ IVA for the AP line, not the EP/AFE. That may not mean anything as a comparison though.

There have been so many varying opinons on TBN and TBN/TAN relation that I don't know what to think about TBN.

I know we like our SDS Buster to purportedly crack the XoM mixology nut, but I would not trust it as being representative of current formulations given the new base oil advances and GTL availability.

I will say that if I still had my Honda Fit Sport, Id be trying some Ep to see if it gave me that old PAO slip, clatter and free revving feeling from long, long ago in MObil 1 History.

You don't easily forget your first PAO
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I know we like our SDS Buster to purportedly crack the XoM mixology nut, but I would not trust it as being representative of current formulations given the new base oil advances and GTL availability.

I will say that if I still had my Honda Fit Sport, Id be trying some Ep to see if it gave me that old PAO slip, clatter and free revving feeling from long, long ago in MObil 1 History.

You don't easily forget your first PAO
smile.gif

Very quiet for me now ... but the entire M1 20 vis evolution belongs to Tig ...

Interesting to see the TAN drop. I would have thought it would be growing as the TBN shrinks and it's ability to nutralize acid supposedly decreases.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Interesting to see the TAN drop. I would have thought it would be growing as the TBN shrinks and it’s ability to nutralize acid supposedly decreases.

That is curious. We had some discussion in the previous thread about how TAN may not be as representative in newer oil formulations.

Maybe it's due to the makeup oil?

I am not sold on this TAN/TBN crossover point anyways. I never seen this on BITOG before. Can somebody point me to a reputable source advocating using the TAN/TBN crossover instead of TBN?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Maybe it's due to the makeup oil?

Perhaps. It is a pretty small amount of make up oil over a fairly long interval though.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I am not sold on this TAN/TBN crossover point anyways. I never seen this on BITOG before. Can somebody point me to a reputable source advocating using the TAN/TBN crossover instead of TBN?

We see too few UOAs with TAN to really draw any conclusions in my opinion. If you do some searches on machinerylubrication.com you will get some information, some of it conflicting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back