M1 HM 10w-30 / 4432 mi / 10 month / 98 V70 GLT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happily surprised by how well this turned out. Oil was quite dark when I drained and smelled a bit like fuel since the engine wasn't fully warmed up the last time I drove it before draining. Silicon is much lower than I expected given how many times I've had the intake tubing opened up during various repairs.

Ran this oil from early last September to partway through July, paired with a Volvo OE filter. I had a 3000+ mile road trip ahead, so wanted to change before I left since I had no data on how hard this engine and interval was on the oil. Oil certainly too thick for the temps we got on a few days in the winter, though the battery and starter had no trouble. Mix of city and highway driving, with most trips being longer than 15 minutes and my primary commute being about 30 minutes each way. I don't thrash the car but don't baby it either. Stop and go and highway cruising mix, often hauling full loads. I'd classify that as severe service.

About half the makeup oil was from when I replaced leaking oil cooler lines, which also required the filter to come down for access. Most of the rest escaped through a leaking rear cam seal and a leak around an exhaust manifold stud due to a defect in the head. All known leaks are now fixed, and the car has used only 1/2 quart over the last 3500 miles of hot and fast highway driving.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Happily surprised by how well this turned out. Oil was quite dark when I drained and smelled a bit like fuel since the engine wasn't fully warmed up the last time I drove it before draining. Silicon is much lower than I expected given how many times I've had the intake tubing opened up during various repairs.

Ran this oil from early last September to partway through July, paired with a Volvo OE filter. I had a 3000+ mile road trip ahead, so wanted to change before I left since I had no data on how hard this engine and interval was on the oil. Oil certainly too thick for the temps we got on a few days in the winter, though the battery and starter had no trouble. Mix of city and highway driving, with most trips being longer than 15 minutes and my primary commute being about 30 minutes each way. I don't thrash the car but don't baby it either. Stop and go and highway cruising mix, often hauling full loads. I'd classify that as severe service.

About half the makeup oil was from when I replaced leaking oil cooler lines, which also required the filter to come down for access. Most of the rest escaped through a leaking rear cam seal and a leak around an exhaust manifold stud due to a defect in the head. All known leaks are now fixed, and the car has used only 1/2 quart over the last 3500 miles of hot and fast highway driving.

Nice run … used that oil last year and certainly would again …

Originally Posted By: ka9mnx
Great news for me! Look at my sig...

Certainly solid oil, though also seems like the engine itself is in good shape too. Analysis is worth it for the peace of mind. Rest of car works great and I put a lot of effort into refreshing suspension and other support components, but a major drivetrain failure would spell the end.

What kind of mileage do you have on the vehicles in your sig?

Originally Posted By: CT8
What did you mean by the too cold for the 10w part?

Several nights below 0 F / -17.7 C, which is at the bottom edge of the range specified for 10w-30 for this engine. Could tell the starter labored more and could see in the bottle how much thicker the oil was at those temperatures. But I was smart about not thrashing it with cold oil so didn't see the high iron count I worried about.

Originally Posted By: ka9mnx
Great news for me! Look at my sig...

Certainly solid oil, though also seems like the engine itself is in good shape too. Analysis is worth it for the peace of mind. Rest of car works great and I put a lot of effort into refreshing suspension and other support components, but a major drivetrain failure would spell the end.

What kind of mileage do you have on the vehicles in your sig?

2005 Ranger - 85,000
2000 4Runner - 250,000
1997 Dodge Van - 175,000
1993 F150 - 255,000

Originally Posted By: CT8
What did you mean by the too cold for the 10w part?

Several nights below 0 F / -17.7 C, which is at the bottom edge of the range specified for 10w-30 for this engine. Could tell the starter labored more and could see in the bottle how much thicker the oil was at those temperatures. But I was smart about not thrashing it with cold oil so didn't see the high iron count I worried about.
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back