Hemi Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Can someone explain what the "Hemi Tic" is?
I have a 2012 Jeep GC Laredo with the V8 Hemi and want to be sure that either I dont have it or if I do, what to do about it.
I have 103k miles..oil has been changed every 5000 miles with Penzoil Full Synthetic oil and Mopar filter. Plugs changed at the 30k intervals as recommended by Jeep.

Thanks

Do a search on YouTube for 5.7 Hemi Tick.

There are several videos. Some of them indicate it is not lifters, but exhaust manifold gasket/bolt issues causing exhaust leaks.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

There are several videos. Some of them indicate it is not lifters, but exhaust manifold gasket/bolt issues causing exhaust leaks.

This has been the case on 5/5 of our work trucks. All of them ticked, all of them it was the exhaust. Silent once fixed.

My previous 2012 5.7L hemi would tick like crazy until it was warm. Even then it was noticeable but not as bad.

Originally Posted By: dawgn86
Looked at Redline's website and 5w-30 not recommended for my 5.7?

Why not look in your owners manual? Don't have one?.... then search online.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This has been the case on 5/5 of our work trucks. All of them ticked, all of them it was the exhaust. Silent once fixed.

x3. We had some ambulances with 5.7s (we would typically use diesels but these two were gas) and they both started ticking. Both times exhaust leaks.

Last edited:
Put 56k on the 2016 company Ram truck so far, all 5w-20 bulk.

Started suffering from an audible tick at startup that would go away after a minute or so at 48k.

Found the heat shield on the passenger-rear side exhaust manifold loose. Meant the bolts holding the manifold were broken...

Guys at dealership just nodded their heads before I even finished saying "exhaust manifold".

Can't believe this is still an issue for '16s.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I'd step it up to a 5w30 regardless.

The OM should have the disclaimer saying it's allowable.

Don't know about the 2012 5.7L but the OM for my 2018 Jeep GC Limited reads as follows:

"NOTE: Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Fuel Saver Technology. Refer to “Fuel Saver Technology–If Equipped ”in “Starting And Operating” for further information. Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used. '

Last edited:

Been happening since the dawn of time...

Originally Posted By: jk_636

x3. We had some ambulances with 5.7s (we would typically use diesels but these two were gas) and they both started ticking. Both times exhaust leaks.

+4

Owners manual calls for 5w-20 and thats what I am using now. Do not hear a tick or knock in the engine, but was curious about it enough to just try and find something out about it.

After thinking about this some more, I do hear a tick upon startup, but it goes away after about 30 seconds. I just changed oil ( Penzoil 5w-20 synthetic ) and the plugs.

How can you tell if it is an exhaust manifold shield leak?

Not every time but usually it ticks at start up and the the sound stops as the engine gets hot.

The ticking may sound like a lifter, but is much louder and is coming from the back of the engine and not the top.

If it is the exhaust manifold, the sound will get worse and worse.

Then its time for a new exhaust manifold and bolts.

Just a problem endemic to the 5.7s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dawgn86
After thinking about this some more, I do hear a tick upon startup, but it goes away after about 30 seconds. I just changed oil ( Penzoil 5w-20 synthetic ) and the plugs.

How can you tell if it is an exhaust manifold shield leak?

Very easy to find with a piece of tubing and your ears. Poke the tubing around the exhaust manifolds both at the engine and where the exhaust pipe connects to it and listen, if you have one you will hear it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back