Dealing with the insurance company for pay out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My parents purchased their house in 1990. This past April we had a wind storm peel back yhe top of the epdm roof. My parents have never filed a claim. Now, Colorado Farm Bureau sent an adjuster out and offered so little $18,000 it won't even repair the damage let alone replace a roof in this area. Farm bureau have dragged their heels then sent out a second adjuster who won't return calls and is "out if the office". Has anyone dealt with this and how did you resolve the issue. Was court needed etc. All help is appreciated

Get a couple of quotes from local contractors, then call and get in touch with the head adjuster for your case.
How much did the second adjuster come up with?
Get some quotes and then start barraging the office with requests for communication, they will respond.

In all seriousness get a lawyer. I don't like them but sometimes you need one. Always use a lawyer when dealing with insurance companies. I have learned the hard way.

Send them a certified letter before hiring a Lawyer. Tell them you will report them to the Insurance Commissioner of your sate, and Dept. of Consumer Affairs, and then lastly (the most important two words)-tell them you feel that are operating in "Bad Faith".

You may then not need a Lawyer.

You may need to hire an insurance claim company usually a roofer can do that and make sure that person is there when the adjuster come.

Read your policy and see if they are contracted to pay for a full roof replacement. Some policies will only pay for part of a replacement. They assess the age of the structure and factor in depreciation. You need to understand what kind of insurance is carried.
And as Salesrep said, get three quotes and start pounding the office with phone calls and emails insisting on action. Good luck and I wish you a positive outcome.

Must be a pretty large house if a roof is greater than 18,000. Plus, if the original roof built in 1990 it was pretty much on its last legs. The insurance industry in general got murdered several years ago on hail damaged roofs, not enough adjusters etc and they paid for many many roofs that wrinkly needed repair not replacing and as a result some are doing away with roof coverage in total others are just doing repairs nor replacing entire roofs and also considering the age and condition of the roof before the damage. You did not give enough facts to really get a reasonable answer. How old was the roof, was it completely damaged or just a section etc.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Send them a certified letter before hiring a Lawyer. Tell them you will report them to the Insurance Commissioner of your sate, and Dept. of Consumer Affairs, and then lastly (the most important two words)-tell them you feel that are operating in "Bad Faith".

You may then not need a Lawyer.

Yup, that will get their attention I. A bad way. Insurance companies are one step up from used car salesmen and one step below the mob.

Key information missing here.

How much is the deductible?

Is the 18,000 the ACV (Actual Cash Value) or RCV (Replacement Cost value) and if it is ACV does the policy provide RCV?

What does the 18,000 estimate include?

In any-case my advice would be to select a contractor and have them meet the adjuster on the second inspection... if they can’t reach an agreement you need to understand why, is it scope of repair or cost of repair?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Get a couple of quotes from local contractors, then call and get in touch with the head adjuster for your case.
How much did the second adjuster come up with?
Get some quotes and then start barraging the office with requests for communication, they will respond.

Right. I would suggest three estimates for the work.

If the head adjuster doesn't return your calls in two business days, send a letter. Be sure to mention that a quick repair is required in order to "mitigate damage" and that you are making a "good faith effort" to settle the claim for these reasons. Use these terms in both the phone messages and letters. The letters will be invaluable if it goes to court, which it should not.

You can write all the threatening letters to anybody you want but the Insurance doesn't care. They only care when they get contacted by a lawyer. The earlier the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back