Ball Joint Boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I replaced the broken oil dipstick tube on the Mountaineer, (what a nightmare) and while I was at it, I changed oil and rotated tires. Part of my OCI/rotation routine is the lube the front upper balljoints. I replaced the OEM ones a year or so ago with Moog units as the old ones had dry rotted boots.

I can't believe I did this because when I installed them I overfilled them with grease and popped the boots off. Usually at the OCI I pump 1 - 2 strokes of grease in and leave them alone. For some reason, this time I elected to put 4 - 5 in. The next day we went on a road trip and I checked them for some reason and saw that both boots had popped off and there are globs of grease had escaped.

Anyone have experience reinstalling boots that had been overfilled and popped off? If I'm not mistaken the top of the boot has a spring/snap ring that holds it in place. I think I may be able to sort of squeeze the excess grease out and get everything back in place but I'm not sure.

You didn't pop the off they were not put on properly in the first place. You need to use a ball joint press on them after cleaning the boots out then use WD40 (no kidding it works better than any rubber lube for this job, I got this tip from Moog) then install them immediately after spraying them inside and out.

Moog uses a copper wire with no spit in it that needs to stretch to fit the boot snugly, they suck! More often than not the boot is damaged from the factory or not on 100%. Another reason I wont use Moog anymore.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You didn't pop the off they were not put on properly in the first place. You need to use a ball joint press on them after cleaning the boots out then use WD40 (no kidding it works better than any rubber lube for this job, I got this tip from Moog) then install them immediately after spraying them inside and out.

Moog uses a copper wire with no spit in it that needs to stretch to fit the boot snugly, they suck! More often than not the boot is damaged from the factory or not on 100%. Another reason I wont use Moog anymore.

I remember them being a nightmare to get back on when they came apart the first time. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about cleaning them and using a ball joint press on them, though.

In principle the Moog boots should have a grease relief such that you can pump as much grease as you want because the excess would just come out the relief. Looks like they installed the boot incorrectly from the factory.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Trav said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about cleaning them and using a ball joint press on them, though.

* Remove the ball joint from the spindle/ knuckle so you can remove the boot.

* Clean the inside and outside of the boot with a rag and brake cleaner so its clean and dry so the ball joint press doesn't slip off.

* Spray the inside of the boot with WD40 and the metal collar of the joint where the boot sits.

* Use a ball joint press to push the boot over the joint till it is fully seated and reassemble. Once seated properly the grease being pumped in will not push the boot off.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
This weekend I replaced the broken oil dipstick tube on the Mountaineer, (what a nightmare) and while I was at it, I changed oil and rotated tires. Part of my OCI/rotation routine is the lube the front upper balljoints. I replaced the OEM ones a year or so ago with Moog units as the old ones had dry rotted boots.

I can't believe I did this because when I installed them I overfilled them with grease and popped the boots off. Usually at the OCI I pump 1 - 2 strokes of grease in and leave them alone. For some reason, this time I elected to put 4 - 5 in. The next day we went on a road trip and I checked them for some reason and saw that both boots had popped off and there are globs of grease had escaped.

Anyone have experience reinstalling boots that had been overfilled and popped off? If I'm not mistaken the top of the boot has a spring/snap ring that holds it in place. I think I may be able to sort of squeeze the excess grease out and get everything back in place but I'm not sure.
If some is good, lots is gooder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back