02' Silverado 5.3L Differential gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 2002 5.3L Chevy Silverado and it's time to replace the differential gasket.

Can I install the gasket dry without a sealer or is it recommended to use an RTV gasket sealer?

Also need the torque specs for the bolts.

Originally Posted By: Gito
Own a 2002 5.3L Chevy Silverado and it's time to replace the differential gasket.

Can I install the gasket dry without a sealer or is it recommended to use an RTV gasket sealer?

Also need the torque specs for the bolts.

I changed the rear diff gasket on my 97 Suburban, probably the same diff you got. I asked here and got a bunch of different suggestions. I used a Fel-Pro gasket and a tiny bit of black The Right Stuff to hold the gasket in place, and it worked for me. No leaks. Oh, and I didn't use a torque wrench.

I changed out the fluid in the rear diff of my 2002 Silverado. I just purchased a gasket at the local Car Quest and hand tightened the bolts and no leaks in over 100k miles.

I like to use a very thin layer of Ultra black RTV on both sides. Never had any issue doing that. Just don't over do it with the RTV.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Do not use RTV with a gasket, with RTV you have 4 potential sources for a leak not 2.
Use Hylomar M or High tack, clean it well and smear a thin film on the cover, place the gasket on the cover and smear another thin film on the gasket or housing.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/perm...hTerm=high+tack

I followed Travs advice previously, and used high tack. It works great. Cleans off well with carb or lacquer thinner too. I used a felpro gasket and the high tack.

There is a gasket you use dry and can reuse, it's called lube locker. I have not had the balls to try a diff gasket with no sealer( especially on my freshly rebuild rear end). The felpro and high tack work well enough.

As far as torque I did not use a torque wrench, I tightened them to german nurse specs.

Last edited:
2nd on using the High Tack from Permatex on gaskets. Have used it on Diff covers with Fel Pro gaskets, and never had a leak. Always used syn fluid in the diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back