2012 suburban steering joint problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I bought a 12 suburban 4x4 LTZ. I noticed a clunk in the steering every so often. I think i found the problem. When i grab the boot that connects all the steering components to the steering shaft and yank up and down, there is a lot of play and i can reproduce the sound. I am not familiar with these steering joints so im looking for some help. I dont see the part on the part store websites. It almost looks like you have to replace the entire rack system but i know that is most likely the case. I found one place that looks like you can rebuild all the seals and spacers inside the rack connection. Has anyone gone thru this and if so what did you do to fix it. It feels like the problem is inside the boot.

I have read a lot about that and the fix is the play in the plastic bushing or the intermediate shaft. To me it looks like my problem is the shaft that is connected to the intermediate shaft and goes into the steering boot that connects to all the steering components.

thanks, the part im talking about is not on the diagram you sent but i was able to look below and find it. It is called the coupling shaft. If i grab the coupling shaft at the boot and pull up and down there is a lot of play. maybe 1/4 inch. Side to side play is high too but maybe only 1/8 of an inch. It looks like i can just buy that lower portion. Thanks for the info.

https://www.oemgmpartsoutlet.com/oem-parts/gm-coupling-shaft-25979051

I just did one a week ago on an 09. For some reason the upper is easy to find everywhere but lower is only GM. People have mentioned the bearings in the steering wheel as well, this one needed both but the lower was worse so we started there and made a big difference.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
thanks, the part im talking about is not on the diagram you sent but i was able to look below and find it. It is called the coupling shaft. If i grab the coupling shaft at the boot and pull up and down there is a lot of play. maybe 1/4 inch. Side to side play is high too but maybe only 1/8 of an inch. It looks like i can just buy that lower portion. Thanks for the info.

https://www.oemgmpartsoutlet.com/oem-parts/gm-coupling-shaft-25979051

Yes, that's an easy fix.

Awesome, after looking a while, it looks like that piece just unbolts and the new one bolts on. Once the new one is on, would it be worth pulling it off and replacing the grease every so often?

Thanks guys, So i found that the bolt was not tight enough that attaches the coupling shaft to the steering rack was not tight enough and was allowing the assembly move up and down on the shaft. The play was not within the joint.

Not sure. I just bought the truck used so there is no telling what its history was. The bolt did not seem "loose" but was just not tight enough. I had to crank on that thing pretty hard before it tightened up. I was actually worried that I was going to break the bolt. So far it is in good shape. I drove it the last two days and it is still tight. I have a lower ball joint to replace and i think it will be in good shape.

The rack was possibly changed at some point. IIRC there is a split where the bolt goes through and yes it takes a bit of torque to close it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back