Corelle brand dish exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last evening I was cooking one of those Marie Callenders beef pot pies in the microwave for 10 minutes. It had about 1 min left when I heard this bang from the kitchen. Walked in there, look around saw nothing. The microwave dinged so I open the door for dinner and found the Corelle dish had shattered into a bunch of sharp shards and pieces. Did a Google search and found this has been reported by others. Heads up on these.

I have ancient Corelle brand dishes, from the 70's. When they were "newer" you could drop them onto the floor and they didn't break as they advertised. However as they got older they break at the slightest bump. And when they break it's like a grenade exploding, small shrapnel every where. "Knock on wood" so far I've not lost any in a microwave explosion. I probably just spoke too soon
wink.gif

Whimsey

I've experienced this 2x in the last 4 years. The shards are amazingly dangerous! scatter range is impressive too. I would hate to have had small kids in the area, as it was I had to get the dog out of the kitchen and sweep about 5 times before all pieces were collected.

Does not take much of a bump, just hit it on the weak spot and BANG!

I wonder if people have been injured?

I notice they heat up when M-waved so probably not microwave safe.

(Are they Ceramic filled? )

Is the plate inked on the reverse explicitly to say microwave safe on the bottom?

If not it likely isn't.

10 mins no a pot pie/ Musta been the family size one!

The exploding plate Saved you from Salt and flour sludge coronary artery disease
smile.gif

As Corelle gets old, it looses some of its material properties.

Suggest replacing Corelle >10 years old, if this is a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back