Progressice Snapshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one have any experience with this or another insurance company that does this. I'm not worried about them seeing my driving habits but am somewhat worried about plugging it into my car.

Are they safe to use?

These are six months prices.
Lucerne full coverage with $500 deductible, $330
Sierra liability $60

I have an independent insurance broker and this is the least expensive he can find.

Which vehicle are you plugging it into?

I'm familiar with these in Canada. Up here your vehicle needs to be 1998 or newer with OBD II.

You are aware they know everywhere you drive (using GPS coordinates). Some vehicles have issues with these devices and your computer. The measure your braking and acceleration to determine the discount. Also if you drive between midnight and 4AM they also reduce the discount.

Your experience may vary.

If they saw how my wife speeds and how I gun the throttle all the time, we wouldn't qualify for any discounts using the iSpy device.

My advice is just be glad you don't live in a no-fault state. If you do live in a no-fault state and are paying those rates, I hate you. Also, be aware your rates can go up after using it - mine definitely would.

What I've been wondering is does it actually connect to the car/authenticate a specific vehicle or just look for voltage? Because I can work with the latter.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If they saw how my wife speeds and how I gun the throttle all the time, we wouldn't qualify for any discounts using the iSpy device.

I'm in the same boat there. The GTI is too fun to not put to the floor up the mountain, the Camry can get spirited as well. The S10 you have to put it to the floor to even move, sooo...

State Farm wanted me to download an app on my phone to track my driving and where I go. I politely laughed and declined.

I had Allstate's version of this in my wife's vehicle for years. We never once saw a discount because of my darling bride's tendency to brake hard. They record every incidence of "hard braking". Obviously your speed and time of the day are all captured and stored as well. Many windows of time throughout the day are considered "higher risk" which will negate any discounts as well. After about 3yrs I yanked it. I'm not giving Allstate free statistical data.

The Onstar on my lease sent me a report once about my driving habits. It said that I braked too suddenly several times (trying to avoid idiots on their phones) and that I should drive less at night ? I think its a slippery slope in that it doesnt give context to the actions. I have been driving for 40 yrs and never had a ticket or an accident that was my fault.

So I guess from what I'm reading here, these snapshot devices don't save you money but make you realize just how bad a driver you really are
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
I think its a slippery slope in that it doesnt give context to the actions.

Excellent point, the last thing I need is for them to charge me according to how others drive around here, I'd have to take out a loan.

Don't do it. Don't need no old lady BOT looking at what Im doing.

If I was in Nebraska on some infinity-straight road, I'd be 30 over all the time … until the farm tractor spraying some Monsanto garbage made a U turn from the field into my lane - Then We'd both be likely talking to Peter at the Gate.

I know the one from Allstate looked at:

Time of day
Braking habits - hard or extreme
Speeds over 80 MPH
Miles driven?

I have the Snapshot in my Rav4 and I absolutely hate the [censored] thing. It constantly beeps when you supposedly brake too hard. I live near a highway (not an interstate) where the speed limit is 65mph and has a few stoplights on it. Unless you're 1/2 mile away and start braking it'll beep at you- I'm tempted a lot of times to run the light (no, I haven't done that). I can wait for August to arrive so I can send the freaking thing back to Progressive.

My Camaro has something similar with OnStar and gave me a driving rating for every drive to see if I could get a discount. It also records my driving on the track so I always get poor scores
laugh.gif
I have since turned it off.

We have seen some of these devices cause all sorts of issues. Pages and pages of Pxxxx, Cxxxx, Uxxxx, Bxxxx codes that all go away as soon as it is unplugged.

I used one for a while to get the initial discount. When it came up for renewal there was no discount since I hardly ever drove the car and they claimed that they couldn't rate me due to lack of use, so of course I got rid of it.

Had one last year on my wife's 2006 vehicle. She drove it to the grocery store and back a few times a week. The rest of the time we used my 92 truck. Got a nice 30% discount

21.gif

I'm torn b/c I had Progessive for 15 years and they never really cared how many miles I drove or what I used what car for primarily, etc.

Now I have Geico for 4 cars and two drivers and they ask me how many miles on 1, how many on 2, who drives what, who drives to work, and why do I, a vanpool rider, put on 15k a year when I have a 60 mile one-way trip to work? Smells like a trap!

Just give me unlimited miles, for the most dangerous thing I could be doing with my car (aside from uber or dominoes pizza) for all the cars I could drive one-at-a-time!

/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back