Castrol or M1 Euro 0W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vladiator
do you realize that LL-04 does everything that LL-01 does, and more?
OK, but M1 0W-40 does not meet LL-01 nor LL-04, so what exactly is your point?

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Castrol is superior. Latest reformulation M1 0W40 lost certs: BMW LL-01 if I am correct.
do you realize that LL-04 does everything that LL-01 does, and more? It's like saying that Honda sucks for not making 1989 Civic anymore. Or BMW sucks for not making the E30 anymore.
Basically LL-04 is improved LL-01, according to this chart.

P.S. And yes, I would take Castrol 0w40 over Mobil1 0W-40 any day.

Except LL-04 can not deal with the sulphur we have in our fuel in North America, so you develop sulphuric acid in your oil. LL-04 is NOT an updated version of LL-01!

Originally Posted By: motech
I've used both, with no difference in oil performance according to the UOA. I have 'felt' since my last oil change that the M1 allows the engine to rev a little easier, with startups slightly quicker. No difference in noise, and again UOA's were both fine.

Regardless of which oil, they're all on MB's approved list.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Castrol is superior. Latest reformulation M1 0W40 lost certs: BMW LL-01 if I am correct.
do you realize that LL-04 does everything that LL-01 does, and more? It's like saying that Honda sucks for not making 1989 Civic anymore. Or BMW sucks for not making the E30 anymore. Basically LL-04 is improved LL-01, according to this chart.
Except LL-04 can not deal with the sulphur we have in our fuel in North America, so you develop sulphuric acid in your oil. LL-04 is NOT an updated version of LL-01!
This is correct--LL-04 does not replace LL-01 in the US. LL-04 is primarily intended for diesel engines with particulate filters (DPF). Not that it matters to me, I have an MB with a gasoline engine.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
do you realize that LL-04 does everything that LL-01 does, and more? It's like saying that Honda sucks for not making 1989 Civic anymore. Or BMW sucks for not making the E30 anymore. Basically LL-04 is improved LL-01, according to this chart.
This is correct--LL-04 does not replace LL-01 in the US. LL-04 is primarily intended for diesel engines with particulate filters (DPF). Not that it matters to me, I have an MB with a gasoline engine.

BMW is now using LL-01FE+, they have not switched to LL-04.

I'm pretty sure Castrol 0W40 will lose the LL-01 cert if and when they decide to UPDATE their formula like M1 0W40, why? BMW is simply moving to the 20wt direction for the whole fleet (excpet M cars and other V8 engine cars), so don't discount M1 0W40 simply because Exxon-Mobil didn't want to waste money to get it certified for Ll-01.

M1 0W40 still has MB and A40 and is still factory fill for GTRs and Porsches, so as far as I'm concerned, it'll still do the job it was designed to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I'm pretty sure Castrol 0W40 will lose the LL-01 cert if and when they decide to UPDATE their formula like M1 0W40, why? BMW is simply moving to the 20wt direction for the whole fleet (excpet M cars and other V8 engine cars), so don't discount M1 0W40 simply because Exxon-Mobil didn't want to waste money to get it certified for Ll-01. M1 0W40 still has MB and A40 and is still factory fill for GTRs and Porsches, so as far as I'm concerned, it'll still do the job it was designed to do.
I am sure that M1 will fit the bill, but I opted for the Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40 which had a 25% discount on Amazon Prime Day (20% off the top and then another 5% back on my Prime card); $18.40 per jug to the door with no rebates to have to deal with. I have not used Castrol engine oil since the 1980's and the titanium in the add pack looks interesting. Time will tell if it is a good choice for the AMG or not--I always have the Pennzoil Euro to fall back on.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
LL04 is a low saps oil, LL01 is a high saps oil. LL04 is a acea C3, and LL01 is a3/b4
Right; LL-04 = Diesel; LL-01 = Gasoline (naow apparently LL-01FE+). I have read that LL-04 can be used in place of LL-01, but it is not ideal. No issues for me, I need MB 229.5

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I'm pretty sure Castrol 0W40 will lose the LL-01 cert if and when they decide to UPDATE their formula like M1 0W40, why? BMW is simply moving to the 20wt direction for the whole fleet (excpet M cars and other V8 engine cars), so don't discount M1 0W40 simply because Exxon-Mobil didn't want to waste money to get it certified for Ll-01.

M1 0W40 still has MB and A40 and is still factory fill for GTRs and Porsches, so as far as I'm concerned, it'll still do the job it was designed to do.

BMW is moving to 0W20 in the US. In Europe it is still HTHS above 3.5.
Reason why BMW is moving to W20 is generally retirement like driving conditions in the U.S. Most BMW owners in the U.S. are heavy city drivers. All new engines are also specd. for LL01 and LL04 (In Europe).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
BMW is moving to 0W20 in the US. In Europe it is still HTHS above 3.5. Reason why BMW is moving to W20 is generally retirement like driving conditions in the U.S. Most BMW owners in the U.S. are heavy city drivers. All new engines are also specd. for LL01 and LL04 (In Europe).
It will still be >3.5 HTHS in my vehicles. Even with "retirement like driving" (which I do not do), there is still a twin turbo and their generated heat that would not play well with an xW-20. At the same time, I will have to keep an eye on MB to see if they follow BMW's "better idea".

Originally Posted By: motech
I've used both, with no difference in oil performance according to the UOA. I have 'felt' since my last oil change that the M1 allows the engine to rev a little easier, with startups slightly quicker. No difference in noise, and again UOA's were both fine.

Thank you for your post. I've been using M1 0W40 in my 2008 Volvo S60 since I bought it with 20K miles. While the three UOAs done along the way to the current 120K miles have all been good, posts regrading the virtues of Castrol 0W40 made me question my choice. Your experience tells me that I should just keep doing what I'm doing.

Originally Posted By: 78Caddy
Personally I’d go with the Mobil 1. Never had an issue with a M1 product.

From my UOA Castrol had way better TBN retention. Both were good in staying in grade. But for whatever reason VISOM version of M1 had ridiculous TBN depletion. I think reason why M1 in new version is having such high TBN is that depletion issue.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: 78Caddy
Personally I’d go with the Mobil 1. Never had an issue with a M1 product.
From my UOA Castrol had way better TBN retention. Both were good in staying in grade. But for whatever reason VISOM version of M1 had ridiculous TBN depletion. I think reason why M1 in new version is having such high TBN is that depletion issue.
I was not impressed with M1 Euro 0W-40 in my AMG and switched to Castrol Euro 0W-40. Time will tell how it fares and if I will need to try Pennzoil Euro 0W-40. My gut feeling though is the Castrol will be fine. Seat of the pants assessment is the engine is smoother and quieter on Castrol, but that is a very subjective observation.

Originally Posted by Rohan
Which castrol euro are you guys talking about? The one with made in Germany?

Or Belgium.

There's only one Castrol 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back