Which spark plugs for 92 Olds 88?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been sitting for 4 years and only has 35,000 miles. Started right up after putting gas in the tank and been driving it the last week. Runs fine but replacing the maintenance items. Which spark plugs to use? Keeping it original so only AC Delco. Choices are the standard copper plugs, Rapidfire at twice the price or platinum at almost 4 times the price. Don't care about the cost but heard on some engines that the plain coppers run better than the more expensive types.

This car has waste spark ignition, it needs double platinum or double iridium/platinum to perform properly long term.
Do not use standard "copper/non precious metal" (they are mostly all copper core) plugs in this one.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Just get standard copper plugs.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Do not use standard "copper/non precious metal" (they are mostly all copper core) plugs in this one.

Thanks, that really clears things up.

Last edited:
When it comes to maintenance on cars, you can trust what Trav says without fail. Or, you can waste some money and learn on your own.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
When it comes to maintenance on cars, you can trust what Trav says without fail. Or, you can waste some money and learn on your own.
smile.gif

+1 ... and if you do research on the waste spark ignition setup, you will see why Trav recommended that, such as "Though many technicians and do-it-yourselfers believe that copper core plugs can be used on waste spark DIS ignition systems, Autolite says that is not true. Ordinary copper spark plugs may function well initially, but the electrodes will wear prematurely and eventually cause ignition misfire."

Is that a transverse V6? Because they can be impossible to change spark plugs on. For that reason, you will want to use iridium, which is good for 100k, so you won't have to do them again for a long time. Use NGK Laser Iridium along with NGK wires.

NGK Part numbers
5599 (laser iridium spark plugs)
51217 (wires for the Delco 3-coil version)
51174 (wires for the Magnavox single-coil version)

You should also replace the valve cover gasket and any other gaskets you need to pull on the way to the rear bank of cylinders.

I don't think I would bother with a tune up if it is for sale and runs fine. It isn't going to increase the value.

May not increase value but will help get top dollar. Most people want a car that has been fully serviced and ready to drive, not something they have to start putting money into as soon as they get it home. I know when I'm buying I check under the the hood and see if it's been maintained, and if not, knock off what I'm willing to pay.

If its being sold I wouldn't bother, you will possibly need new wires when you change the plugs on this engine, the boots have a habit to sticking to the plug and get damaged when you try to remove them.

Geez guys, remind me never to buy cars from you all.
grin.gif
Doesn't anybody here know how to sell a car for maximum dollars? Of course it will have new wires, already ordered them.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Just get standard copper plugs.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Thanks, that really clears things up.

Confused yet? Keep the originals since they only have 35,000 miles on them.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: atikovi
I was going to sell them on Ebay.

You are going to sell used plugs for a extreamly common application on eBay? Do people buy stuff like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back