#15 Texaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I'm trying to find hydraulic oil for a Ricon wheelchair lift. The specs ask for #15 Texaco Aircraft hydraulic fluid, or US Mil Spec H5606G. Does anyone know of an equivalent that is available in Canada? I need a brand name that I can find on a shelf, or order from a supplier...any info would be appreciated

thanks!

PJ

https://www.google.com/search?q=%2315+Texaco+Aircraft+hydraulic+fluid%2C+or+US+Mil+Spec+H5606G&oq=%2315+Texaco+Aircraft+hydraulic+fluid%2C+or+US+Mil+Spec+H5606G&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I agree that an ATF would be fine, but I'd probably flush the system, not add. The biggest advantage with 5606 is a very high (over 300) viscosity index, that is, it works well at -40(F of C) degrees and at over 200F degrees. An ATF comes pretty close. Avoid Dexron VI as "some" seals are unhappy with it. I used to recommend a Dexron III or similar. GM doesn't allow sales of products as Dexron III, but major manufacturers sell products "suitable for Dexron III applications".

5606 is aircraft hydraulic fluid and is widely used. I'm sure any major oil distributor should be able to get it for you if they don't have it on the shelf. You could also go to any smaller airport that services general aviation aircraft and buy it from one of the maintenance shops on the airport. I don't know that it is advisable to use something like Dexron 3 or 6 if 5606 is specified for the lift.

Hi and thanks for the reply,

The manual specifies the particular hydraulic oil, and says damage can occur if correct product is not used. I'm trying to fix for the owner, and don't want to screw it up! It's an electronically operated electric pump hydraulic lift in a handicap van. Most people I've talked to agree that to use the wrong type could be problematic. Anyway, thanks for your input!

PJ

I had the same idea, to go out to our little airport and see if I can find a service shop that would carry that. Thanks!

PJ

I know that both Shell and Chevron/Texaco produce 5606 hydraulic oil as I have used both and I would think that Conoco/Phillips also supplies 5606 oil as they make aircraft engine oils. I'm sure that one of the oil distributors in your area can get you the 5606 oil with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back