Tree growing from stump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
main tree in front yard, died suddenly in june after putting out well this spring. we think it died since about 6 ft up there was a shrizontal piece where it forked and there was a lot of rot there.
Its putting out madly from the side of the stump.

will that grow ok or do I need to remove the stump and replant another tree?

A picture would be worth a thousand words...where did I hear that,LOL?? It would also help to know a lot more details. Tree specie? The setting, i.e., aesthetics? Stump size and condition? Its one thing to have stump sprouts (coppice growth) in a woodland and something else in your front yard. If it is a poor specie for health, vigor, breakage, etc., you probably want to match a better (new) tree to the site.

Sprouts growing from the base of the stump at ground level would be better than sprouts growing off the stump side, higher up. A low sprout will develop it's own root system as the original one dies. It "can" work if you are willing to live with the looks of a rotting stump. The old stump "might" affect the health of the new tree. Or, it might not. Too many unknowns here.

Provide a picture and some more details and we can probably give you better advice. My hunch at this point is that IF this is a very important consideration to your yard landscape, I would probably plant a new tree. But, again, it is just a guess based on too little information.

I'm an Arborist, have the stump ground out and plant another tree close but not near near there or in another location but not over it.

If it's green with leaves and buds, it will grow into a nice tree over time.

If you want to halt the new growth, you can cut the new growth down to the base single branch and tie a piece of cloth over it right at the cut end. Soak the cloth in a salt brine. Make the brine by heating water and stirring in amounts of salt until it is very salty to the taste, let it cool and soak the cloth. Usually a 4" square is enough but adjust according to the branch / shoot size. That will kill that particular shoot.

That method also works well with shoots coming up from the ground. The brine does not seem to affect other nearby plants if you don't spill it (thus just wet cloths).

To kill the stump dead, assuming it's cut flat across the top, drill a number of holes with a wood bit a half to one inch in diameter, maybe 4 to 6 inches deep. You might want to start with a smaller diameter bit if the going seems hard.

Fill the holes with gasoline, and let it soak in. You don't have to to anything else, no repeat necessary, no lighting anything on fire. Especially the lighting on fire part. It will kill the stump, the wood will rot over winter, next spring you can just dig out the stump.

If gasoline scares you too much or attacks your environmental sensibilities (or your wife's) you can substitute turpentine, which comes from trees so there's your argument for it's "green" qualities. But I found it takes longer for the stump to be ready to be removed with turpentine.

The Arborist might object to the above, the farmer won't.

The sucker will not be as strong a tree as the original. It will probably get bigger but rot out where the old trunk was.

They make a stump killer liquid. You just cut off the shoot and then paint some of the killer over the fresh wood. Stops them dead in their tracks. Bonide Vine And Stump Killer With Applicator 8 Fl. Oz

That being said, I have some ornamental crab apples. I let some suckers grow up on one and it has sweet large round red apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back