Kingquad hard shifting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 king quad 750 After some Dusty And wet riding it’s really hard to change gears Like from high to reverse. I sprayed it with WD-40 and nothing. Definitely needs grease somewhere in there

Yup and it didn’t do a thing But When your trail riding with nothing around and all you have is W 40 it’s worth a try. But now that I’m home from my trip I’m looking for a permanent fix

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Does the clutch need to be adjusted?

Not sure, I mean it rides great and everything, just hard shifting.

I'm guessing synchronizers are worn, time to split the case!
frown.gif

Make sure the centrifugal clutch on the belt drive is disengaging properly. If it is catching it isn’t going to want to come out of gear or go into gear.

Last edited:
I’ve owned it since brand new 2011 Yes hard to move gear shifter from H L R

Originally Posted By: jay929

OK, when making those shifts nudge the bike so that the wheels just turn a bit, should pop right in.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Originally Posted By: jay929

OK, when making those shifts nudge the bike so that the wheels just turn a bit, should pop right in.

Every Arctic Cat I have been on with a H-L-R reverse setup has needed a small blip of the throttle to get a gear on occasion. I am sure rocking the machine helps too.

I know that King Quads have wet clutches, but that's about all I know about them. Sometimes just switching oils or changing the oil will make them shift better. I would suggest going to a Suzuki atv forum and asking there. There's probably lots of folks there who know exactly what's going on.

I've run nothing but Shell Rotella 15w-40 and 5w-40 (Winter) for thousands of miles on a 16 KingQuad 700 with 0 issues. I do have to rock it often. to get it into another gear range

Originally Posted By: smokingun45
I've run nothing but Shell Rotella 15w-40 and 5w-40 (Winter) for thousands of miles on a 16 KingQuad 700 with 0 issues. I do have to rock it often. to get it into another gear range

Nature of the beast..that H-L-R is really old 80's tech..swap it out for a Honda when you get an opportunity.

I meant 2006 KingQuad. Fatfingers.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

Nature of the beast..that H-L-R is really old 80's tech..swap it out for a Honda when you get an opportunity.

Actually,every single new atv on the market except Honda uses cvt transmissions with H, L, R, ranges. Also, atvs of the 80's had centrifugal semi manual clutches with 1,2,3,4 gears. Cvt is the newer trans in atvs. Honda is old tech now.

I have the exact quad, 2011 KingQuad 400 with the manual (semi-auto) trans. It gets very notchy when the oil is past due for a change. I've never really had much issue with the H-L-R shift but it does take some rocking or an occasional blip of the throttle at times to get it in range. I'm just used to it, so many quads are like that and I've been on many.

From my research, the Rotella T6 5W40 does awesome in these, getting ready to give it a go in mine. I have always just ran cheap, conventional 15W40, I think it has Castrol GTX in it now and its horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back