Porsche 75w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 5 quarts of Porsche 75w90 diff fluid about 3 years ago. Sold the car and havebeen staring at the fluid for the last 3 years. According to the bottle it expired in 2017 and was made in 2015. I don't put much stock in that since the service interval fof the fluid in the diff is 12 years or 120,000 miles.

Anyway, I have a ford excursion and want to swap out the front diff fluid. It calls for a 75w90 GL 5

Can I use the Porsche stuff in it? I don't know what the GL rating of it is or where to find it.

Check the other brand name applications for the Porsche … I’m seeing GL4 in some …

Should be fine. I actually went the opposite direction and bought a bunch of Delvac 75w90 to use in my Tacoma’s diffs. The Delvac is a popular choice among the Porsche crowd since it doesn’t have LS additives in the formula.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Should be fine. I actually went the opposite direction and bought a bunch of Delvac 75w90 to use in my Tacoma’s diffs. The Delvac is a popular choice among the Porsche crowd since it doesn’t have LS additives in the formula.

When you say “bunch”? Did you get one of the (Delvac 1) 4 jug deals … seems to save about $10/gallon like that …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

When you say “bunch”? Did you get one of the (Delvac 1) 4 jug deals … seems to save about $10/gallon like that …

Not THAT good of a deal. Summit racing sells each jug for around $32 which is literally half the price of Amazon and WM. I bought a few jugs to cover my next 2 diff/xfer case changes.

Is it the Porsche transaxle oil or differential oil? If it's transaxle oil I'd put it on Craigslist or eBay. Someone will give you almost what you paid, I'm sure. Then buy cheaper and more appropriate oil for your differentials.

If it's differential oil as intended for the Cayenne or Panamera differentials, you'll be fine.

What model and year Porsche? We can look up the spec for the Porsche and see if it also meets the spec for Ford (GL5). But the 75W-90 part seems to be correct for the front diff on your Ford. For the rear diff on the Excursion, I would use 75W-140.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Not THAT good of a deal. Summit racing sells each jug for around $32 which is literally half the price of Amazon and WM. I bought a few jugs to cover my next 2 diff/xfer case changes.

Thanks for the tip … got a jug of Delvac 1 75w90 for that price … and a set of AC Delco iridium plugs to get free shipping …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
One would think that if its good enough for a Porsche its good enough for a ford.

I’m waiting for Ford to know what’s good for Ford … 150k for normal … 30k for “severe” ?

(Don’t get folks started on PSD oils)
27.gif

It was for the manual trans of a 1999 911

It is Porsche 75w90

That’s all the bottle says

Originally Posted By: dgjks6
It was for the manual trans of a 1999 911

It is Porsche 75w90

That’s all the bottle says

It's not necessarily unsuitable - but it's probably $150 worth of oil - not what I'd use in a common differential.

It “expired” in 2017. So even if it is good in your Porsche for 12 years tonthem it is worthless. It’s is $40/liter now. I paid $117 which including shipping when I bought it. I tried to sell it on the Porsche forums a couple times. No luck. So I’m either at recycle it or use it up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back