Homemade yogurt + probiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know how to make this? I've got all the stuff to do it.

Very quickly:
1/2 gallon of milk + 1 cup instant milk
4 oz yogurt

1) Heat the milk in the microwave until it boils, or reaches at least 180°F
2) Pour the mixture into a non-metallic dish and wait until it reaches approximately 120°F
3) Stir in the yogurt (room temperature) and cover (towel) in a warm place for 8 hours

Notes out of making several batches:
Not heating the milk to at least 180°F will not allow the yogurt to set later. It has something to do with denaturing the proteins in the milk. Boiling doesn't hurt. 2% or whole will make the yogurt creamier, but will work if you make it with 1% or even skim. 120°F is with my thermometer and produces consistent results.

Thickening the yogurt can be accomplished by adding a small amount of instant milk to soak up the extra whey, and/or allowing it to set longer than 8 hours. I've done up to 12, which makes it noticeably thicker. The temperature in the first hour is the most critical. After 10 hours, the mixture should be very thick and have a tangy, bubbly surface you can test out. Move it to the refrigerator and it should stay fresh for at least a week or two if you keep it covered and don't cross-contaminate spoons when you're removing it from the container.

Washing every utensil and dish with hot, soapy water and drying thoroughly beforehand is very important in avoiding contamination. I use a small crock pot to make the yogurt in, and it keeps the temperature at a good region for the bacteria to grow. I also turn the oven on for about 5 minutes before it goes to sleep.

I usually go for plain, but with the funkiest mix of bacteria. A single-serving container will set a whole batch (up to a gallon). I've used cheaper store-bought yogurts and they don't work as well. BB-12 and LA-5 are beneficial cultures, but there are quite a few you can get a hold of if you read the back of different brands. I've also seen kits that are specifically made for making your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
We make something similar, but with coconut meat instead of dairy.
Works great! especially during the summer months when we ferment it in the warm kitchen on the counter.
Below is the recipe/process.

Ingredients

Equipment
Food processor or high quality blender
Glass jar for culturing

Ingredients
6 Young Thai Coconuts. Young Thai Coconuts can be found at most health food stores, but check your local Asian Market for the best prices.
4 Probiotic Capsules or 1 Vegetable Culture Starter

Instructions

1.Open coconuts and reserve coconut water.
2.Spoon the coconut meat from coconuts and puree in food processor. Add coconut water one tablespoon at a time until coconut puree is desired consistency.
3.Pour coconut mixture into a glass jar.
4.Open probiotic capsules and mix them into the coconut mixture. If you are using vegetable culture, open package and add to coconut mix.
5.Cover tightly with lid and allow coconut yogurt to ferment for 24-48 hours on the counter.
6.Check yogurt after 12 hours and taste. The yogurt should have a slightly sour (yogurt) taste.
7.Once fermented, yogurt can be sweetened (if desired) and stored in the refrigerator. Keeps for one week.

We make our own yogurt quite often. It takes some time but there’s nothing to it.

I don't use the instant milk but I do strain it with a coffee filter to get rid of the extra whey....how they do Greek yogurt.

I have made it using the stovetop and oven at a low holding temperature.

Just milk and a store-bought plain yogurt as starter. Just read the ingredients list on the yogurt and avoid ingredients other than milk, cream, active culture ... in Canada, all yogurt must contain live Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, it may contain other strains as the manufacturer sees fit. So they all work as starters.

I find buying the packaged refrigerated culture (grains) in a health food store makes creamier yogurt. I then use the last cup each time as my starter. After a number of times it seems to fade away and I have to use another package again. I also mix in a bit of vanilla yogurt from a regional supermarket chain, Wegman's, then use the rest of that with the homemade yogurt to make smoothies. When needing just yogurt for a dish, I use the homemade.

I've been brewing homemade kefir, which is easier and doesn't require the warming step. Takes about 1 day with ambient temperature in the low 80s °F, to about three days in the upper 50s.

Been home making yogurt for years. Results are usually pretty consistent but every now and again it will be runnier or thicker. Has been very consistent since upgrading to using a thermometer and not an arbitrary amount of time.

8 cups of milk in crock pot, heat to 180+
Turn off, allow to cool naturally to 120.
Once cool, mix in 1/4 cup of plain yogurt from store or from preivous batch.
Wrap in a couple thick towels and place in the oven, protects from temp changes and drafts.
Usually do this overnight and in the morning it's good.
About 8-12 hours is good. Have gone up to about 16 hours (not intentionally) and I didn't die from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back