91 Ford 460 - noisy lifters at Idle when hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to switch from Rotella T6 5W40 to? Mobil1 15W50?
My RV with 129K had been having a pretty load lifter tick when idleing after an hour or more highway driving.
I've got a real oil pressure gauge on it ,so I can see it when the pressure gets below 65-70 PSI and the coolant
is at 190F , just a touch of throttle and the oil pressure pops to 80PSI and it's stable there all the way to redline.

I'd just been reading here that some have found the T6 gets a bit thin when it's been run and is hot.
I left it idle in the driveway on a 100F day, never ticked at all.

Wondering if there was something really about go , I had Blackstone run an analysis, the numbers were all good,
a little high on calcium 2238? Some Moly in there too 76ppm. Zinc was 845, Phos 727, the metals were all in the single digits.
cSt was 12.45 They said go another 2000miles on that oil, well, I've got a 4000Mi RT coming up, so it's time for the oilchange.
Mobil 1 15W50 looks like a good candidate, I'll bring the Rislone and reserve that for the trip back if it's gets ticky.

Thoughts?

Lots of Hemi's with lifter tick cured by Red Line if it's worth the investment.

91 Ford 460 with 129K = Probably needs new lifters. My 93 Ford 4.9L needed new lifters at about 180K. 50% of the lifters were collapsed. I believe it uses the same lifters as the V8's. Probably a factory defect?

Considering your oil pressure, heavier oil probably won't work. I tried MMO to see if it would "free up" the lifters but didn't work. I pulled the valve cover and discovered half the valves were not opening to spec.

I would run Rotella T6 5w40 with a bottle Rislone concentrate one time for the ticking lifter (it will work if there is no mechanical damage) and a bottle zinc additive every OCI to protect the cam. The stuff works well.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/risl...c3nid=7081049-P

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/risl...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

49.gif

Oil pressure is too high to have cam troubles. Lifters could be gunked up from sitting though. Add a solvent to oil to loosen stuff. If it works, do it before every oil change.

Cam lobes are sling oiled off the crank. Ticking lifters can be some varnish in there. Full can of BG109 in the sump, drive for a few days and see if it changes? If not, time for lifters ...

+1 On this engine and most flat tappet cam in block engines this is true, some high output OHC engines use squirters in the cam holders directly over the individual lobes.

the cyl heads on 460's in motorhomes run extremely hot. i have seen the manifolds glow on more than 1 occasion. the timing chains are retarded from the factory. most people install a pre-1972 timing set. maybe his vt and oil is just getting too hot. idunno

Your description of when this noise occurs makes me think it is related to oil temperature. It could also be a mechanical issue, but a temperature gauge would be helpful.

The 460 is a pretty tough engine. But, in a MH, they can starve for cooling air. I'd want to know what the oil temps are before doing anything else.

I'd for sure try a change to Delo 400 15W-40 and see what that does ... Usually one of the "quietest" oils around
smile.gif

I found some threads about 460 ticking on other forums...some guys said it was solved by adding 1 extra quart to the sump.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
I found some threads about 460 ticking on other forums...some guys said it was solved by adding 1 extra quart to the sump.

Which is an attempt to lower oil temp, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back