ATF exchange using the cooler line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on doing one of these https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/mainte...uid-change.html
some say I will get 4 qts with pan drain some 2-3 qts, not sure till I drain pan. But if I add same amount as I drain back to fill plug, start truck and let same amount drain out cooler line into bucket, shut off truck and repeat till old fluid is out. There is no risk of pump running dry, or damage to trans, whether it is 4 qts vs 2 qts done at a time, correct?

Let's say your initial pan drain yields you 4 qts. Fine.
You pour in 4 fresh quarts and disconnect a cooling line. Fine
When you then start the engine pump out only 3 or 3.5 qts.
This way the pick-up screen will be immersed at all tmes.
I've read that you don't even want the bubbles generated by the transmission sucking air which it will do as you near pumping out the full "4 qts."

Same with my transmission. Something around 3.5 qts. drain. You replace with fresh and pump out 2 qts. at a time.
You Tundra freaks must be smarter that the fellows on my car's board because you have to explain the benefit of the initial drain to them.

Are you confident that the current fluid level is correct? Not sure if the Tundras had this issue but many Tacomas with the tow package came with a slightly low trans fluid level.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Let's say your initial pan drain yields you 4 qts. Fine.
You pour in 4 fresh quarts and disconnect a cooling line. Fine
When you then start the engine pump out only 3 or 3.5 qts.
This way the pick-up screen will be immersed at all tmes.
I've read that you don't even want the bubbles generated by the transmission sucking air which it will do as you near pumping out the full "4 qts."

Same with my transmission. Something around 3.5 qts. drain. You replace with fresh and pump out 2 qts. at a time.
You Tundra freaks must be smarter that the fellows on my car's board because you have to explain the benefit of the initial drain to them.

That makes sense, I understand better now. As long as you are pumping out less than you put in (and not cutting it too close).

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Are you confident that the current fluid level is correct? Not sure if the Tundras had this issue but many Tacomas with the tow package came with a slightly low trans fluid level.

Although the way to check these trannys without a dipstick is difficult, I feel confident I can get it right after the exchange with the "jumping the pins" method and activating the fluid temp control mode form the Toyota TSB.

On both my cars I think I did one quart at a time. Pump a quart out, shut engine off, dump in a quart. Repeat. The Tundra might be more of a pain (more quarts) but I figure, the wear&tear on starter/engine is trivial, but running dry is more of a worry.

The 2Q-1minute dance is not worth the effort.
Drain pan, pour 1Q more than what was drained. Remove return line and run it till there is bubbles.
Measure the ATF pushed out from the return line and refill and done.

I did drain and fill with same volume and then I did about a quart at a time thru cooler line measuring volume and replacing with same volume every time, on two cars, didn't take too much time or effort.
You don't do this often so may as well do it right and forget about it for next 50-80K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back