Cost of ethanol blends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all duty cycle and recharge time.

And as was either in this thread or another Forklifts use various number of "convenient" ways of avoiding costly downtime for waiting for a recharge

Now you need an electric tractor an electric powered Franna, a 5-6 bay battery recharging station, 3-5 batteries and all that time in the middle of your busy day to play battery mechanic (in diesel tractors, that downtime would be referred to as breakdown)

The places with electric forklifts were inside refrigerated buildings. The places that could have gas forklifts did. Gasoline forklifts were nasty. A facefull of exhaust all the time. Luckily there were not a lot of them in the places I worked years ago. LPG for the win.

An electric tractor sounds interesting for remote off grid homesteading folks. They normally don't need the tractor all day or all the time. Use tractor and then hook it to some solar panels to charge.

It depends on lawn size. When I was a kid, using the John Deere 318, it would take me two days to cut all the grass. That was only once a week, every couple weeks, or once a month, even, depending on the weather. But, it was still two solid days of work.

For rototilling, depending on garden size, it might be effective.

That was quite a lawn. I'm glad I only had a couple acres to mow as a kid. 44 inch Craftsman garden tractor didn't take too long. These days a zero turn would make short work out of it. For doing other stuff we never ran the Ford 641 for more than a couple hours bush hogging and even less time pulling plows and discs. My dad would plant about an acre at the height of his gardening. That's a lot. I doubt many homesteader types plant more or keep up large lawns.

Last edited:
Yes, it was quite a lawn. I have flashbacks about riding that mower.
wink.gif

Off topic, but years later, my dad picked up one of those huge, commercial mowers, and it dropped it down to a three hour job, and that was in the years when we were wetter with thicker grass, to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back