01 Tahoe instrument cluster replacement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hello,

My Tahoe's cluster lost the odometer/gear light indicator. I just picked up a used cluster from a junkyard.

Simple job, but now I am confused. I was lead to believe that the replacement cluster would reset the mileage to what is stored on the vehicle's computer (mine has 155xxx, replacement has 244k).

Is there a way to reset it, or was I misled?

If it can't be reset, what would be the proper way to keep records, as I plan on selling it next year.

thank you.

Body Control Module (BCM) should retain the odometer mileage...

Why not just change the bulbs?

Look on RockAuto dot com, it either a 74 or 161...

Actually, just did some reading. Some GM vehicles data resides in the PCM. Full size SUVs/trucks reside within the cluster, according to several GM forums.

I only paid $40.00 for the cluster, so I guess I'll just have mine rebuilt. The alternative is finding a place that can re-calibrate the miles on the other cluster. I guess they are around, just need to research the cost.

Edit: my oil pressure gauge is also funky, so changing the bulbs won't fix the issue.

Last edited:
Just about every GM product I have owned had the gauge start to indicate at or near maximum oil pressure. Each time it was the sensor near the oil filter.

Last edited:
I used Dr. Speedometer when my wife's gauges went wonky.

Dr. Speedometer

He also offers LED upgrades, white face plates, transmission temp gauge upgrade, etc.

Your complete rebuild looks to be $149 including shipping both ways.

Send yours out to be repaired, it won't update the mileage.

My dad had an 04' Silverado with 97k miles when the instrument cluster went out, he bought a new one and started over at 0. After 47k miles he wanted to trade it in and some dealers wouldn't even accept it. The one that did gave him absolute bottom dollar for the truck. The Carfax history was ruined as well due to discrepancies in the mileage. He knew how many miles it had, but no one else did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back