300ZX Starter replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The starter went out today,had to push start her to get her home. In this day and time,especially for older cars like these,are aftermarket starters fine? The original went out a few years ago,replaced by a Nissan oem starter 10/27/06. It was $246.57. I can just run up the street to O'Reilly and get an aftermarket (made by Mitsubishi) for $125.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: bbhero
OEM.

Unless you like working on the starter multiple times.

Amen on this Colonel. I hate re work

Maybe get a used one from a junk yard if possible. Or a used one from eBay.

I just went through [censored] with reman power steering pumps for my Jeep, finally decided to get an OEM one from the dealer.

Looks like the same starter on 89'-96' 300ZX and 93'-97' Infiniti J30

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Grab the one from O'Reilly.

Have yours rebuilt.

What's the cost normally to have a starter rebuilt?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Your sig suggests that it might be a collectible car, so I'd suggest probably put an OEM starter on it also.
But your car is also 20+ years old. Have you checked if the OEM is still available?

Grab the one from O'Reilly.

Have yours rebuilt.

What's the cost normally to have a starter rebuilt?

Cost me $75 to have the OE starter in my BMW rebuilt and $50 for the alternator. Local shop.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Your sig suggests that it might be a collectible car, so I'd suggest probably put an OEM starter on it also.
But your car is also 20+ years old. Have you checked if the OEM is still available?

Yeah it's $300 plus $75 core from an online Z32 parts store.

Cost me $75 to have the OE starter in my BMW rebuilt and $50 for the alternator. Local shop.

Those are incredibly good prices ! If the vehicle was a "back-up", that would be a great option but I think most people don't want to be without their car for a couple days or longer. It's hard to believe the shop makes much profit though.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
I got an oem reman starter from nissan dealer for 99 maxima at 80,000 miles still working at 175000

At least the 2nd one seems "good". The first one only lasted 80k miles, yes ?

I kept the core to see how much a rebuild will cost. Guy at O'Reilly said a friend of his paid $150 to have an oem alternator rebuilt at a local shop. The one I bought is made by Mitsubishi.

[censored] starter was bad out of the box! Took it off and returned it to O'Reilly. Nissan dealership time for me Monday! I know them over there and I'll see if they can get me an oem one,plus they sell me parts at cost.

Hate to say told you so.. but... Yeah. Those pieces of junk they sell at the parts stores aren't worth their weight in horse number2.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hate to say told you so.. but... Yeah. Those pieces of junk they sell at the parts stores aren't worth their weight in horse number2.

Yep,you definitely told me so! Lesson learned (looking at my cut up hands) :p The red flag was the starter looked really shoddy and sloppily constructed. And it weighed half of what the Nissan starter does.

Hopefully you still have the old one. You may need it rebuilt.

I did a quick search for you. Nothing on eBay, RA, or Amazon.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back