Finally Let the HF/Greyhound Franken Mower Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the handle collapsed, I figured I got my 20 years of service from my old 20" yard machines I re-powered with a Greyhound engine some years ago.

I bought this for my 1/4 acre suburban lawn: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-TB130...gine/1000178355

It's getting harder to find a simple just push it mower. I really didn't want the high wheels, but this time of year, options are scarce and I was mid-way through the job.

I suppose I could have braced up the handle and nursed it through a few more years...

Anyway, I was impressed. A bag containing 12 oz of 10W30 oil. I pulled the dipstick and it appears the engine had been run and then drained of oil, as it was wet, but certainly not full. It was wet from my getting it out of the box. I can see how people are confused and think new mowers have oil in them if they see oil on the dipstick.

However, after adding the 12oz of oil from the clever bag, it was close to full.

I fueled it with fresh fuel and the darn thing started on the very first pull.

I'm impressed as one can be with a $240 lawn mower.

If I get 10 years out of this one, I will have my money's worth.

I've put the old one up on the Facebook Marketplace to see if I can get $25 for the parts and engine. Hate to see it go to waste.

Let's see how the Honda GCV160 does. But so far, I'm impressed.

Good luck with it.

On my "route" there are 3 people who sell "TLCed" lawn mowers. They leave 'em in front of their houses with a security cable run through the handle.

If there are guys like that around you maybe they'd buy your old one.

I do all kinds of " Mad Max " repairs to keep an old mower going. I had a 14 year old MTD with a rusty deck that I reinforced with perforated angle iron. The end came when one quarter of the deck broke off, along with a rear wheel! I got another MTD on Craiglist for $45. Oil change, air filter, and spark plug. Good for another 10 years, I hope :)

My high wheel mower now has an old light switch in place of that annoying ignition cutoff and flywheel brake.

Looks ok, Id prefer something without autochoke and with self-propelled.

Neighbor's husqvarna awd mower has been a total pile of poo with its autochoke.
it wasnt cheap either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back