2009 Honda Civic starter reman brand quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still need to diagnose, but I might need a replacement starter for our 2009 Honda civic. I'm more familiar with european cars... any brands to look out for, something quality? Thanks.

Certainly not as easy as my W124, on the civic its crammed under the intake.

Last edited:
Bosch Denso OEM if its somehow cheaper, starter should be visible under hood, let someone try to crank it and give it a few taps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Still need to diagnose, but I might need a replacement starter for our 2009 Honda civic. I'm more familiar with european cars... any brands to look out for, something quality? Thanks.

Certainly not as easy as my W124, on the civic its crammed under the intake.

Yup I have that exact same car and model year, it's all the way on the back of the engine under the intake manifold.

Either go OEM or with a good brand or anything OE like Denso. Go with a [censored] reman like Cardone and you'll be remanufacturing your labor.
crackmeup2.gif
Trust me, you don't want to have to do it again, it's not worth saving that money.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
remans tend to be junk, get the OE

So true . A parts counter guy at a dealer told me that same thing. They don’t alway replace wear items whic are almost but not quite worn out! Like he said go to the local dc motor rebuilder with all your starters and alternators. That was 1989 and I’ve been happily doing it ever since. Never cost me over $100 never had one gripe ever and I’ve owned a slew and f old cars trucks tractors boats you name it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I ordered the OE starter off eBay. Got the starter out of the car and its toast. Bench testing it would operate sporadically and lack any real power turning over (could easily hold the gear). Took it apart for a quick look... two of the brushes were toast (worn to braided-leads), commutator gummed up with some damage, and a lot of "carbon" dust.

The car only has ~130k miles and a basic remote starter (GF installed years ago) that has a "timed" start.

And that armature would have gone into a reman. Would have had a nice paint job on the case though.

Yah-Tah-Hey said:
No way I will ever purchase an electrical component from ebay. I'm old but not that old. [/quot

OEM units are widely sold on ebay.

And often at significant discounts.

Same for Amazon.

Your local dealer may match or at least try.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audios
Bosch Denso OEM if its somehow cheaper, starter should be visible under hood, let someone try to crank it and give it a few taps.

Should be visible but isn't. One of the worst PITA starter installs. Do it once and do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back