Used Jaguar F-Type V6 or C7 'Vette

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've sold my Turbo S2000 (too small and laggy) and am looking for a replacement. I've narrowed it down to a C7 convertible or Jaguar F-Type convertible with the supercharged V6. I'm leaning towards the Jag as it's more my style. As I grow older, outright race-car performance is not something I really desire anymore. Must be automatic, as my knees can't handle a clutch in a traffic jam. Fun to drive, responsive performance is more important. I'm not likely to do any track days.

If you have the ways and means to deal with whatever Jaguar ownership entails by all means, why not? I've never seen one of those on the road.

Since you're talking Jaguar there's this, my unobtainable dream car...

Originally Posted By: Trav
The Jag for sure, everyone and his brother has a vette.

+1
A friend has one for the last 4/5 years, he has not had any problems with it in that time. He loves the car.

A lot more Classy than just another Vette.

It's not even a comparison. The uber expensive to repair jag or become part of the corvette brotherhood. Jag is for euro puzzies IMHO

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
If you have the ways and means to deal with whatever Jaguar ownership entails by all means, why not? I've never seen one of those on the road.

Since you're talking Jaguar there's this, my unobtainable dream car...

[img:gal:393995b534febe973d]https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2018/07/full-39399-28720-1963.jpg[/img

I painted one like this many years ago, a 66 IIRC. It was a body off job and took a long long time and a lot of money.
No base/clear on this it had to be original Carmen red lacquer and many coats sanded flat in between every third coat then buffed to a super flat flawless mirror finish.
Absolutely stunning cars the e type's. Check out the knock off wires, that's a gorgeous wheel.

New original D type.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02/jag...from-the-1950s/

I've been wanting to test ride one of those Jags. They look so sexy!

You may want to consider a Mercedes SLK with the big AMG V8 It's a beast.
The SLK is a convertible with the automatic steel hardtop. So very quite and refined with the top up.
I don't have the V8, my SLK is turbo charged, but I love it.

If I was limited to Vet or Jag I'd pick Jag

The Jag.

(personally for that money I'd go Audi TT RS
27.gif
)

Originally Posted By: lairdwd
It's not even a comparison. The uber expensive to repair jag or become part of the corvette brotherhood. Jag is for euro puzzies IMHO

Always room for one more vette in the annual homecoming queen parade. Next to the guy in a fez riding an antique lawn tractor.

Last edited:
Depends what you want. The C7 does not come in automatic. Its RWD so really kind of useless...hundreds of HP wasted. The Jag..meh..there are quicker, better handling, vehicles out there. Even a lowly WRX would outhandle it.

But a Jag is a Jag. Go for it.

I looked seriously at the BMW Series 3 Wagon and then bought my 2018 Forester. At the end of the day I liked the high seating, CVT Tranny, ground clearance, and the AWD in the Forester I am presuming is going to be better. But...a BMW is a BMW..got the snob appeal.

Sure is a lot of hatred towards the C7 on here
frown.gif

For sure the C7 is going to be less expensive to maintain, it's still a Chevrolet and you can find a lot more people to work on them than Jags.

The C7 is in a completely different league than previous generations of the Corvette. I've owned a C4, C5 and a C6 Corvette before getting my C7 and every generation gets better than the last but the difference between C6 and C7 is MASSIVE! It does every single thing better.

Obviously you need to drive both of them to see which one is the better fit for you, but don't let the people on here taint your view of the C7 before you even get behind the wheel. I now have 6100 miles on mine and it has been absolutely perfect, and the gas mileage this thing gets just blows me away! (set the cruise to 70 mph and it'll get 35 MPG on the highway, and in my mixed driving it's getting around 25 MPG AVG) The 8 speed automatic trans is fantastic! Even though it's not a dual clutch unit, it shifts so fast at full throttle you'd swear that it was dual clutch.

I'm not sure what your budget is, and I know your title says you're looking for a used car, but I bet you could find a brand new C7 for less than the price of most used Jag F-Types.

Originally Posted By: Al
Depends what you want. The C7 does not come in automatic.

Sure it does, the 2014s came with a 6 speed automatic and from 2015 on it was available with an 8 speed automatic, even on the Z06 models (for the C5 and C6 Z06 models they were never available with automatic)

As mentioned above, my C7 has an automatic trans.

Its RWD so really kind of useless...hundreds of HP wasted.

I'm also a bit confused with this post too. It might be RWD but it can put the power to the ground nicely. If I hit full throttle from a dead stop it just does a quick spin of the tires but it hooks up fast and when I use the on board 0-60 timer that it comes with, I can consistently get the car to run times between 3.9 and 4.1, it's never worse than that. I've never owned a car with this much power that is so easy to launch off the line.

Originally Posted By: Patman

I'm also a bit confused with this post too. It might be RWD but it can put the power to the ground nicely. If I hit full throttle from a dead stop it just does a quick spin of the tires but it hooks up fast and when I use the on board 0-60 timer that it comes with, I can consistently get the car to run times between 3.9 and 4.1, it's never worse than that. I've never owned a car with this much power that is so easy to launch off the line.

Well maybe he meant the wheel spin part of it. Usually with AWD, you don't end up spinning any wheels and all the power goes to the ground.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Unfortunately many automobile manufacturers have succeeded in convincing the unwashed masses that RWD vehicles are only safe to driver on straight, level and dry pavement. I've actually had some poor fools tell me that the reason they won't get a RWD car is because they need a vehicle that they can drive in the rain.
I suggested that they didn't need AWD or FWD either- what they needed was to turn in their operators license and utilize public transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back