Subaru Service Dept Overfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had the third oil change on my Crosstrek. Every oil change done at the dealership, and it's always filled to the maximum dot indicator. This time it was different, and overfilled.

The OM calls for 5.1 US quarts, but the dealership indicates 6 quarts used on the invoice. I verified with the service tech that they use oil in bulk barrels, and not individual quart containers. The service tech also said that there is a leeway to go over a bit or under a bit, and that this is not a problem.

What do you guys and gals think about the overfill, problem or not? Should I have them redo it with 5.1 quarts.

As shown in the picture, the level is over the maximum fill dot indicator.

Last edited:
That is a bit high. I would try to get some out to help prevent foaming. The dealer filled my Hyundai Tuscon more than a quart overfilled last year. I drained out the excess.

Drive it around a bit then check for bubbles / foam on the dip stick. My wife used to have a high mileage car that used oil.since she never checked the level I would add an extra quart for insurance. Never had a problem.

I doubt there will be a problem. As BobsArmory said if you're concerned drive it, shut it off and immediately pull the dipstick and look for bubbles. I'd be willing to wager you don't see any.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Drive it around a bit then check for bubbles / foam on the dip stick. My wife used to have a high mileage car that used oil.since she never checked the level I would add an extra quart for insurance. Never had a problem.

I will try that, thank you. If there is any foam I will ask the dealer to drain a bit. I will eventually install a Fumoto valve, to make it easier to drain.

Have you ever looked at oil pan geometry, relative to the crank? I doubt that the oil having risen that tiny amount is going to hit the crank. The crank is way up there. If I'm looking at the picture correctly, the lower dot is off the bottom so that's what, an overfill where the oil level is higher by less than half the distance between the upper and lower dot? If you took the pan off of your engine, do you think that the oil being that little higher is going to hit the bottom of the crank? I'd think it would take a significant overfill (like three quarts or more) to hit that level.

Also keep in mind while the engine is running, the actual level is a little lower than that because a portion of it is in circulation and at the top end draining down, for the same reason you check your oil level after the engine has been off for a few minutes so that the oil returns to the pan. I'd worry even less in that case.

Back when my wife insisted Mobil 1 was in the Santa Fe, I would just dump all 6 quarts in when I changed it, knowing it would burn a half quart in 5k miles. Capacity is 5.5. Now that it’s on Valvoline (for quite a while now) I no longer have to use this convenience practice. Doesn’t burn a single molecule of Valvoline.

There was no foaming, no oil light, no odd things happening with an extra half quart in there.

As a matter of fact, many folks that have a Mercury Marauder, or a 4.6 DOHC Cobra, or something with a 4.6 DOHC Ford in it will purposely overfill the engine to 7 quarts, (capacity is 6) because the engine holds so much oil in the heads at high rpm. I don’t do it, but I only hit the drag strip a couple times a year, if even that much.

It won’t hurt a thing.

Last edited:
It’s a Subaru, won’t it be burned off in less than 1k miles?
confused.gif

Maybe they do it because there have been many recent cases of cars burning oil? To cover for the customers that don't check oil often.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
What a useless contribution Loti.

Oh no, is humor not allowed?

Same here
Originally Posted By: Voleak
I recently had the third oil change on my Crosstrek. Every oil change done at the dealership, and it's always filled to the maximum dot indicator. This time it was different, and overfilled.

The OM calls for 5.1 US quarts, but the dealership indicates 6 quarts used on the invoice. I verified with the service tech that they use oil in bulk barrels, and not individual quart containers. The service tech also said that there is a leeway to go over a bit or under a bit, and that this is not a problem.

What do you guys and gals think about the overfill, problem or not? Should I have them redo it with 5.1 quarts.

As shown in the picture, the level is over the maximum fill dot indicator.

Same here with my Subaru dealer and our 2015 Subaru Outback. We received a 2 year maintenance contract for free when we bought the car. I had about 4 oil changes in that time and all of them showed 6 qts (oil capacity for the 2.5L is 5.1qts). I checked the oil often and never saw any foaming on the dip stick. I think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Very slowly loosen the oil pan bolt until drips occur. Take the excess out and tighten that bolt back up. Sometimes this can take an hour to release. Depends on the drip.

.... or you can loosen the oil filter to remove the overfill and make a mess that way.

.... or you can take the vehicle back to the dealer and have them remove the excess.

My '16 Forester came with an additional quart from the dealer also. First oil change I put in the proper amount, 5 qts. It's been almost 3 years and 31,000 trouble free miles. I doubt the 1 quart made any difference in your car.

Pretty standard for Subaru dealers these days from what I hear.

My local Subaru dealer charges $60-70 for a 0w20 Subaru oil change. It better include some extra. LOL.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Is your dipstick vertical or angled? An angled dipstick exaggerates the issue.

I agree with him. On my legacy, there can be a significant difference between checking the front of the dipstick, and checking the back of the dipstick.

When checking the dipstick, check both sides, and judge the level based off the lower side of the dipstick. Subaru says this in the owners manual. I don't think the car is as overfilled as you think, but I could be wrong if that picture is of the lower side of the dipstick.

From section 11-9 of the 2017 crosstrek owners manual.
5. Check the oil levels on both sides of
the level gauge. The engine oil level must
be judged by the lowest of the two levels.
If the oil level is below the low level mark,
add oil so that the full level is reached.

*Just one more thing. After looking at the picture again, the oil level could be spot on the high mark if you flip the dipstick. The amount over the full mark is about the same as the difference that I'd typically see between the front and back of my dipstick.

Mine always looks like that. I'm not sure whether it's actually overfilled, or whether I'm just waiting too long and all the oil is draining back into the sump (I think the instructions say to measure five minutes after turning off the engine).

As mentioned, it's an angled dipstick, so that probably makes the level look much higher than it is. The levels on the two sides are typically quite different as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back