quick ? on home wall light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
do new switches still have the ability to have the wires just push in to the back of the switch? (and not require use of the wire wrapping around the screws?)

or has that (push in) been banned?

just a curious question, I had a switch be intermittant and it was the push in wire connection that was intermittent--. seems a bad design to me (older switch- 30 year old house.)

Last edited:
In some areas the push in connectors do not meet code. They are not as tight as the screws, can loosen, add resistsnce, heat, fire.

When I purchased my home, I went through it and replaced all of the 'backstab' switches and outlets to prevent all the eventual trouble they cause.

Some switches have the backstab type connection that then gets clamped when tightened with the screw.

The "back-stab" switches and outlets are garbage, plain and simple, and should be replaced before they fail and cause problems or a fire, and they all will at some point. I replaced every one in my home with "back-wired" ones. Back-wired switches/outlets still use the screw to secure the wire but give you the option to leave it straight or wrap it around the screw. They're not expensive either.

https://blog.leviton.com/back-wiring-vs-side-wiring

I think only 14 gauge can be stabbed. Here we can’t use 14 so they are all fastened with the screws. I had to trouble shoot non working receptacles in a brand new home that was outside the city. They had no such restriction on only using 12 gauge so they used 14 and stabbed them. There were a few loose connections.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Some switches have the backstab type connection that then gets clamped when tightened with the screw.

I think this is the way to go, they work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back