Castrol transmax vs valvoline maxlife atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always liked transmax as the price was good and walmart had it, today walmart only had maxlife. This is going in a 4l60e that calls for dex3, which one would be better for this app or will either be just as good?

Either will be fine for your 4L60E
smile.gif

My favorite is Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. It is on sale at AAP for a few more days for $5/qt. But there is certainly nothing wrong with Maxlife.

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get the Dorman pan that has one. It will make things much easier.

They really should have a drain plug and a spin on filter. I have one of the silverados that the pan wont drop without removing the front drive shaft and y pipe and linkage bracket.

Originally Posted By: Spitter
I have one of the silverados that the pan wont drop without removing the front drive shaft and y pipe and linkage bracket.

that sounds like a pain in the [censored]. on my suburban with the 4l60e getting the tranny pan off was a little messy but nothing was in the way. bummer they messed it up later by putting stuff in the way, especially since they don't have a drain plug from the factory. just seems wrong lol

You're probably aware that GM has superseded Dexron-III with Dexron-VI fluid. Dexron-III is no longer a supported material specification and is therefore no longer a regulated product. This is why so many 'multi-vehicle' products have been ushered to market in the past years. The original Dexron-III formulation is being tweaked in order to maximize application. The purity is gone from the product, so to speak.

I would use Dex-6 if I were in your position and I'd get the Castrol while it's still 2 for $10 at Advance until the end of July. Just my $.02.

I have used both Castrol TransMax & Valvoline ML(ATMOF, I use 3 different brands) in the same vehicle and all were fine. The third(actually 1st) one was Mobil 1 Dex/Merc ATF. I had used the M1 before the other two. I liked the M1 best of all and prefer it in many apps that can use it.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have used both Castrol TransMax & Valvoline ML(ATMOF, I use 3 different brands) in the same vehicle and all were fine. The third(actually 1st) one was Mobil 1 Dex/Merc ATF. I had used the M1 before the other two. I liked the M1 best of all and prefer it in many apps that can use it.

That M1 ATF solved a temperature problem for a guy I know pulling a huge offshore boat with an old 2500 ‘Burb … he already had a decent cooler … high VI … likely a mixed base fluid …

I use both interchangeably to be honest. Both are a LV synthetic fluid. So buy which ever is cheaper/easier to come by.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I use both interchangeably to be honest. Both are a LV synthetic fluid. So buy which ever is cheaper/easier to come by.

Yep. Dump a gallon from our Cruze every 20k after seeing what 40k looked like.
It’s gone from AC Delco>>Transmax>>Maxlife
Going to stick with the Valvoline since it’s good and gallon jug is perfect …

If the Transmax is the Dex/Merc type sold at WM, of the two I'd pick ML Full Synthetic. Transmax D/M is mineral based ATF, still ok however my preference for the syn and it's more shear resistant properties. Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic at AAP equivalent to ML, wouldn't pay more for it than ML, unless I suppose qt bottles preferred.

As noted, Dex 3 not a tough spec to meet now and superseded long ago.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I would use Dex-6 if I were in your position and I'd get the Castrol while it's still 2 for $10 at Advance until the end of July. Just my $.02.

I keep seeing Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle for $5-5.75/bottle at a few retailers and I kept wondering if Castrol was maybe phasing it out in lieu of that synthetic version. I wish I'd have known about this AAP deal before I stocked up on the IMV version....

Maxlife FS in 3 of my cars. One is even a manual trans that spec’s ATF. Been absolutely flawless. Improved shift quality in the Hyundai was the biggest noted difference. Didn’t notice much difference going from Mercon V to Maxlife in the Marauder, other than I can buy Maxlife cheaper and by the gallon. The Capri Convertible shifted WAY better but some waterhead put gear lube in it prior to my ownership. So obviously experienced an improvement on that one.

I did however buy an armload of Castrol Transmax CVT Fluid for my Freestyle, because it was $5 a quart. Literally no other reason, but we’re talking regular ATF here. The Freestyle has over 290k so I really care not what goes in it as long as it meets spec.

Forget dropping the pan get a OEM brand vacuum pump for 60 bucks, I just did 3 drain and fills on my GTO with DEX 6 it took about 10 minutes each time one handed, dropping the pan is a PITA and it was 108 degrees outside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back